186 visa transition 2yr employer rule - rumours of change?

Vic154

Hi

I've been in Aus on 457 for 3 and half years now. I got to 2 and half years with my original employer and applied for PR (sponsored by them) but shortly after submission I had to change jobs and companies so no choice but to withdraw PR application, so my new employer took on 457 and the 2 year clock started again. The new job is a better job anyway and I negotiated with them to put that they would sponsor me for PR when time comes in my contract so made the best of it I guess.

Its frustrating because I already did the 2 years and I am still working in the same field/industry, actually a more senior role than previous company, so I clearly have the skills to do the job, but I still need to wait 2 yrs. oh and I've tried the direct route but immi lawyers don't think I'd pass skills assessment as I have not held the most senior position in my company for my function - Sales

Thats the background, main point of my post is that I spoke to a lawyer a few months ago and he said he'd heard that the 2 yr rule might change to a more lenient 2 year rule which could be spread across multiple employers providing job was similar, which would obviously help me. As in this day and age changing jobs is far more common. Apparently changing this is under consideration.

Any immi folks on here heard anything similar and have info on this?

Thanks for reading!

Archived