Adelaide to Sydney - Please help!

sunny side

Hi,

We have been living in Adelaide for 5 years now and love it.

However, we are ready for another move and have just been offered jobs in Sydney and we are moving in July 16.

Please help with the following.

1) Looking for an affordable rental - I will be working in the city and hubby at the airport- any suggestions? Budget is around $700p/w - we don't want to live close to the beach.

2) Good State High school - we want to organize everything from here before we move as we hope our son to start school in Sydney after school holidays in July.

3) Any experience with sending a car interstate?

4) Any recommendations for removal companies?

Thanks very much

Mari

Edited by sunny side

$700 a week is a small budget for Sydney. Traffic round the airport gets horrendous at peak hours so you should look for suburbs with a train line so he can use the airport line. Then you can look at the train timetables to check how long his commute will be.

Take a look at stations along the Illawarra line - the further out you go the cheaper it gets, until you get to Cronulla which is expensive.

Be aware that Sydney's climate is very different. It doesn't get nearly as hot as Adelaide but it does get humid - and the further inland you go, the warmer it gets. Parramatta is always three or four degrees hotter, and noticeably more humid, than on the coast.

We moved our car interstate from country Victoria (almost as far as Adelaide) - we just packed it up and drove it! We took three days to do it because we had a boat in tow, but could've done it faster.

Edited by Marisawright

If you are working in the city and airport then it's definitely south side. I agree with Marisa that rail commute is essential if you are working in the CBD and airport as traffic in to the city from the south is horrendous, as is the M5 motorway, and it will get worse with the Westconnex construction that's about to kick off. Traffic also terrible around the airport. Fortunately there are two options here, either on the T4 Illawarra Line or the T2 Airport and East Hills line

Probably nicer areas available on the Illawarra Line railway (change trains at Wolli Creek for the airport) but don't write off the T2 either. Oatley is a very good start point, I would also suggest the inland areas of the Shire just south of there (around Sutherland) to start your search. $700 isn't going to get you a big house with pool in any of these areas so look for a smaller place, like a 3 bedder maybe, be it either a traditional single storey house or a townhouse, there is quite a lot around. Out along the T2 line is probably a bit cheaper but you'll also need to be pickier with the area as there are some rough bits. You'll have to travel around and have a look I think. It gets hotter along this line too as you travel inland. It makes a surprising amount of difference, you'll always here temperatures quoted here as "city" and "west" and the latter is always hotter in summer and colder in winter by a few degrees.

High schools I can't help you with as my kids are primary age and we're on the other side of the city - start with the myschool website. Personally I'd drive that and make an adventure of it rather than try and ship my car but then I'd end up being tempted to approach either through the Blue Mountains from Bathurst or cut across the Southern Highlands to Wollongong and through the Royal National Park which is a nice entrance to the Shire, rather than flog straight up the Hume motorway, but I'm digressing into my favourite road trip territory and both those might be a bit knackering after a long drive :-)

Good luck with it. We love Sydney

Oatley area looks very nice. I think it would suit us coming from Adelaide!

But getting a placement in school is becoming an issue. They are either selective or no out of zone placements are available for this year.

Looks like we have to wait until end May to look for a place to stay. Most advertised houses are available now but we wont be able to move before early July.