176 Visa Ceases!!! I need advice please

shaza

Hi Guys. I'm in a bit of a predicament and i'm not sure what to do. We are on a 176 Visa which "ceases" in June. Now does that mean we HAVE to leave the country and re-enter or can we just stay put? We are currently in the process of applying for citizenship but I have put off the paperwork til now and realised it probably won't be finalised by June. Also 3 of the 5 passports have expired so leaving the country is going to be a massive inconvenience applying for new British passports and a huge expense to us.

Another thing I did wonder is whether you can get an extension on a visa?

Any advice would be great please.

Thanks guys.

Sharon :eek::cute:

You don't need to do anything. It is the travel part of the visa that expires. Not the residence. However, once it has expired, if you wanted to leave Australia, you would need a resident return visa (RRV). If you are eligible for citizenship, then I would get this as if you do leave the country after the travel part has expired it would say getting an RRV. However, it would be unlikely you would get citizenship by June - it would take that long at least to get to the test. After that it is up to councils, but they take several months on average to invite to a ceremony.