How to ship?

Backtoback

We are looking at sending most of our things over to Australia in August this year, even though we probably won't be moving until Jan 2017. They will be stored at my partners brothers house….

Can anyone recommend how to get this stuff over there? We aren't taking any furniture but we will have things such as:

• extra clothes, shoes etc
  • kitchen equipment
  • books
  • small electrical equipment
  • possible two bikes

I am guessing in terms of moving boxes, we will have around 10?

You could contact one of the shippers such as Seven Seas that will do it, or look at whether it makes more sense to get a small Move Cube.

The cheapest option is probably to organise it yourself through a freight forwarder though - we did this for two boxes and two bikes that we didn't want in our container.

That said the things you describe other than the bikes you could replace cheaply in Australia so may not be worth shipping - for the bikes it depends what they are.

We are looking at sending most of our things over to Australia in August this year, even though we probably won't be moving until Jan 2017. They will be stored at my partners brothers house….

Can anyone recommend how to get this stuff over there? We aren't taking any furniture but we will have things such as:

• extra clothes, shoes etc

• kitchen equipment

• books

• small electrical equipment

• possible two bikes

I am guessing in terms of moving boxes, we will have around 10?

For small shipments like this then shared container shipping will probably be the most cost effective method if you don't need them within a few weeks. There are generally 2 options, one we call 'Groupage' which is where your boxes go in a container with other customers heading to the same location and then are separated out and delivered again at the other end. This is the cheapest option as you share the freight costs and associated charges, but it can be the slowest option depending on the company you use and the frequency they ship as well as if you're the first customer who buys space in the container or the last. If you're not in a hurry and can load in August ready for your arrival in January this is a great option, and the mover can arrange storage for you at either end to make sure your dates tie up.

The other option is LCL (less than container load) where your boxes are placed in a wooden crate by your removal company and taken to a consolidator for shipping over and then will be de-consolidated and delivered back to you the other end. This is quicker than groupage as the consolidator ship much more frequently than individual movers. This is typically almost as speedy as your own container, but does come at a slightly higher price than groupage.

Hope that helps a bit, but any other questions i'm happy to answer if I can!

You could opt for a small MoveCube also (or a bigger one depending on how much you ship). We did this as it worked out cheaper/easier for us than groupage. It arrived inside the 12 weeks and cleared customs in a few days and was delivered to our door.

They don't always deliver to the regional areas of Aus so it would depend where it was going.

If you just have tea chest sized proper cardboard boxes you could just ship them with Seven Seas or some such, though 10 would work out more than the price of our large Movecube if I remember the rates per tea chest sized box (we shipped 4 extra with them as well as a large MoveCube in which we got 32 boxes plus some furniture plus bikes, golf clubs and other things.) Check out the Seven Seas website and do a bit of research into options if it appeals.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kirsty

I wanted to ask a further question about shipping.

We are planning to sell the flat by August and then get the majority of our stuff sent over then. However, we will be in London all of September and some of December. Is it possible to just get a suitcase sent over? What is the best way of doing this?

The reason I ask is because we are travelling Sep-dec and end of dec-march so will need a few bits and pieces i.e. winter clothes etc when we are back…..

Hi Kirsty

I wanted to ask a further question about shipping.

We are planning to sell the flat by August and then get the majority of our stuff sent over then. However, we will be in London all of September and some of December. Is it possible to just get a suitcase sent over? What is the best way of doing this?

The reason I ask is because we are travelling Sep-dec and end of dec-march so will need a few bits and pieces i.e. winter clothes etc when we are back…..

hi! Your best bet for a single suitcase would be using a baggage courier type company that send unaccompanied baggage which will probably be the most effective way of getting the last bits of your things there. There are lots of companies out there (a quick google search for unaccompanied baggage will bring up lots of options), as always check for quality accreditations (like FIDI or BAR Overseas if it's a removal company) and reviews to make sure the company are repuatble. Some other members might be able to recommend which they've used for excess baggage?

Hi guys,

Yes unaccompanied personal effects can be tricky, usually via LCL would be best as it's the most economical for a pallet or two. For a suitcase, there are some couriers who still handle unaccompanied personal effects which I have used in the past...beats paying $25 a kilo for extra baggage at the airport! Where is the suitcase going to and from?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived