263111 Computer Networking, Can I emigrate???

dreamer78

Hi all,

looking for some good advice from you all :)

I have been working for the family business for the last 13 years and i'm looking to move to australia under occupation 263111, basically, I have no qualification or certificates at all, only experience. I have noted on ACS that I can do an RPL, but I'm just unsure if this is viable? and how the points awarding works?

anyone out there have a similar situation to me, that could maybe give some extra advice.

thanks in advance

Paul

Hi all,

looking for some good advice from you all :)

I have been working for the family business for the last 13 years and i'm looking to move to australia under occupation 263111, basically, I have no qualification or certificates at all, only experience. I have noted on ACS that I can do an RPL, but I'm just unsure if this is viable? and how the points awarding works?

anyone out there have a similar situation to me, that could maybe give some extra advice.

thanks in advance

Paul

An RPL is certainly possible and you will need 8 years of experience which it seems you have.

Is the family business an established provider of Computer Networking Solutions? Will you be able to get references from clients outlining the work you have done for them?

If your business is not IT related and your skills only extend to supporting the companies own network, unless it is a relatively large business I don't rate your chances.

It is quite unusual for someone working in this field not to have Microsoft and/or Cisco certification and you may struggle to get work in Australia without them anyway.

An RPL is certainly possible and you will need 8 years of experience which it seems you have.

Is the family business an established provider of Computer Networking Solutions? Will you be able to get references from clients outlining the work you have done for them?

If your business is not IT related and your skills only extend to supporting the companies own network, unless it is a relatively large business I don't rate your chances.

It is quite unusual for someone working in this field not to have Microsoft and/or Cisco certification and you may struggle to get work in Australia without them anyway.

Hi Lady Rainicorn,

thanks for your reply, I was under the impression they are after your knowledge and what experience you have gained, not what you do or who you actually work for?

is this right?

thanks

Paul

Hi Lady Rainicorn,

thanks for your reply, I was under the impression they are after your knowledge and what experience you have gained, not what you do or who you actually work for?

is this right?

thanks

Paul

What you do is probably the most critical part - not sure what you mean really by that, what you do is how you get the knowledge and experience.

Who you work for is irrelevant, however you have to have evidence of your knowledge and experience and a reference from a family member is probably not going to be sufficient - hence the suggestion you get references from clients.

I am not an agent though and I would suggest you have an initial assessment by one - make sure they are MARA registered, as there are some cowboys out there.

Hi Lady Rainicorn,

is this right?

thanks

Paul

They don't care who you work for. But isn't "the experience you have gained" and "what you do" the same thing? And it definitely will be if tremendous interest.

You will need some kind of vendor certification. Being in that industry a CCNP would be probably best. A CCNA wouldn't be sufficient.

Are you talking about to get a positive skills assessment or to get a job? My OH certainly got a positive skills assessment without these (was CNE and MCSP tho)

Are you talking about to get a positive skills assessment or to get a job? My OH certainly got a positive skills assessment without these (was CNE and MCSP tho)

on another note, if my skills were to be assessed to be positive, can I claim any points at all for overseas work experience? I also did a similar job with roles closely associated to the anzsco code for 6 years prior to these 13 years. so my experience in general is 19 years.

Archived