buying a small business

wacjac

Hi,

wondering if anyone would have information / advice on our situation.

We have been trying to move to Oz for nearly 5 years and had more or less given up hope. We decided to have one last long holiday/family visit earlier this year before my daughter starts school in september.

As a last resort my partner decided to get in contact with her opposite numbers at DHL in sydney, and we went to spend a few days there. On returning to the UK, she has been offered a job in sydney on a 457 visa. Happy days !!

The slight problem is, sydney is not where we want to live, but would use it as a stepping stone to hopefully moving to the mornington peninsula later, as my partner has immediate family there. Obviously this would involve her leaving DHL after hopefully getting residency.

If all went well, and we made the transition to aussie life, then I would be looking to buy a small business or maybe a few after selling my buy to let properties, and our home in the uk. These businesses would ideally be on the peninsula. What i need advise on is,Am i able to invest/buy these , as i would be oz on my partners work visa.??? I was thinking that employing staff would also help with perm residency in the future.

Any advise to whether this is a possibility would be greatly appreciated.. joe

Once you have permanent residency you can do what you like with respect to buying a business. You could even buy a business whilst you are a secondary applicant in the 457 visa, but this sounds very risky to me and I wouldn't recommend it as you might need to leave Australia at any time if the main applicants job ends for any reason.

So I think you should take this one step at a time. How are you planning to get permanent residency in the first place? There is no automatic route from a 457 visa to a permanent resident visa.

Make sure you are fully aware of what a 457 is and what the restrictions are.

One important question is why were you unable to previously get a visa - the reason I ask is it may impact on your ability to gain PR down the line and even the 457.

Archived