No live trace & convicted help.

Liamshikari

Hi Guys,

My police checks from the UK came back with a 'no live trace' and i know what it means, my question being, on my application during the 'character' section the only question related to my previous offence was 'Have you ever been convicted of an offence in any country', I have taken convicted to mean sentenced/gone to court etc and ticked no. I think I may have mis understood 'convicted' in this instance and wondered what to do to rectify it, if I need to at all.

My offence was drunk and disorderly when I was 18, and i was given a caution, no time spent, no court etc

I feel as though this needs to be declared in my application but feel as though ticking yes to convicted is also incorrect.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks guys

Liam

Hi Guys,

My police checks from the UK came back with a 'no live trace' and i know what it means, my question being, on my application during the 'character' section the only question related to my previous offence was 'Have you ever been convicted of an offence in any country', I have taken convicted to mean sentenced/gone to court etc and ticked no. I think I may have mis understood 'convicted' in this instance and wondered what to do to rectify it, if I need to at all.

My offence was drunk and disorderly when I was 18, and i was given a caution, no time spent, no court etc

I feel as though this needs to be declared in my application but feel as though ticking yes to convicted is also incorrect.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks guys

Liam

Yes you definitely need to correct your application, there is a notification of incorrect answers form you can use for this purpose, it is either 1022 or 1023 and you can find with a quick google. Is this for a skilled migrant visa?

A caution is a conviction in a sense, it means you admitted your guilt and gives you a police record but it means that you took your "punishment" - a ticking off - there and then rather than waste any time in the courts. It is not going to hinder your visa prospects, it is the not declaring it that is more of an issue, so get that corrected as soon as you can.

Thanks guys,

I am so annoyed at myself thinking convicted meant time spend or something more serious and when I think about it now, I cannot believe i was so stupid.

I hope this doesn't affect anything or they think I am trying to hide anything, I\ll get the form 1023 in straight away.

Thanks guys for your help

Thanks guys,

I am so annoyed at myself thinking convicted meant time spend or something more serious and when I think about it now, I cannot believe i was so stupid.

I hope this doesn't affect anything or they think I am trying to hide anything, I\ll get the form 1023 in straight away.

Thanks guys for your help

It is a fairly easy mistake, wouldn't worry about it too much so long as you send form in.

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help please?

Thanks guys

Liam

Although it seems that a caution is merely a 'written warning' - for immigration purposes it's technically a conviction. Because, you done something unlawful, been arrested for it, 'found guilty', and convicted....the punishment being a police caution.

You don't say how old you are now, but I'm assuming that you were 18 years old a long time ago, and that behaviour is not a reflection on who you are today.

So, to answer your question, you need to amend the answers to your application questions;

1. Complete form 1023 to change your answer.

2. Apply for a Subject Access Request to ACRO to get the full details of your 'conviction.' (Takes 40 days I'm afraid)

3. Write a statutory declaration and explain what you thought conviction meant, and that you never intentionally intended to deceive them, that you were a stupid boy and you are both embarrassed and ashamed that you committed the offence, and that it's definitely not who you are today.

Basically do not play it down, don't try to minimise the seriousness of the offence.

You'd be surprised how many people have done the same thing, so don't worry.

Archived