In Melboune alone, what should I do?

Briggs0102

Hi All

Just thought I'd try here as I'm not having much luck else where, I'm currently living in Melbourne, moved here on my own a few months ago. I'm living in a decent place with a roommate, got a good job and doing ok. I don't really know how to go about spending my weekends / free time however.

I'm looking to enjoy my hobbies more, can anyone recommend any groups / events for any of the following - I've looked a lot on meetup but finding it hard to find my interests:

Football / Soccer - I'm already playing 3-4 days a a week here, however I'd love to get involved in something else.

Table tennis / pool tables - I'm pretty rubbish at these sports, but love to play - everything I've searched online is either serious groups or tables to play with friends - I'd like to join a group of easy going people who just want to shoot some pool and have a laugh.

Nightlife / Gigs - I'm not much of a nightclub man but I really enjoy pubs & bars especially with music, has anyone got any recommendations, especially places where I won't look like a bit of a weirdo going on my own.

Cooking / Nutrition - One of my newer hobbies, I really want to learn more but not sure where to look / go?

Anything new! - I love learning new things, any recommendations?

Thanks all in advanced.

Briggs

If you are staying longish term:

volunteer for SES.

walk into pool halls and ask at the counter if they have a social mix in games night.

look up table tennis leagues on the web, ring contact numbers and ask if they have any social mix in games night.

For music gigs, use the songkick app. It will scan your music library and notify if any of those artists have gigs in the area.

There are plenty of "weirdos" at any gig, so you won't look out of place! [emoji12]

The Corner Hotel in Richmond has a wide variety of music acts scheduled. Check their website or their big notice board outside the venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you are near St Kilda (why would you move to Australia and not be near a beach!) try the St Kilda Sports Club on Fitzroy Street. They have bowls, cricket, darts teams and a weekly pool competition. A really nice bunch of regulars, as with anywhere you just have to get yourself out there and strike up a few conversations. Cheap drinks too.

I'm also alone in Melbourne (arrived this week!) but I've joined lots of meetup groups and my diary is filling up - there seems to be so many groups so I'm surprised when you say there is nothing that interests you. I've already met a few nice people but it takes time and patience to make new friends.

Archived