Beginner/ intermediate music groups/ bands?

subdividedyoghurt

Hi!

Does anyone know of any musical groups, of the casual kind, who like to meet up and play/ practise/ perform together? Or know anyone else who does? In the park, or in a garage or some place, anywhere really. People at a new-intermediate level would be ideal, in the city or inner suburbs preferably.

I'm a relatively new (ish) violin/ fiddle player, approx 5 yrs learning, looking to join in with people somewhere. Right now I practise in the bathroom but it's not as fun as being outside with real people with other instruments. Before coming to Melbourne I was in an adult learners string ensemble (classical) as well as playing in the park and pubs (traditional/ folk) with others. My most preferred and what I like to learn at home is film/ anime/ game soundtracks so am open to genre. I tend to flit between learning different things as there's so much out there.

So while I'm not good, I'm just keen to get involved with others again, then learn and take it from there. I've been through local lists of ensembles/ groups etc but they all specify advanced and audition needed, which is definitely not the kind of thing I'm after. There is one pub not far away which might work, though it's a bit of a struggle timewise and finishing work time.

Thanks!

I too struggled to find likeminded musicians at the same level as me (lapsed intermediate! [emoji3]) so for a while I was looking to jam with anyone just to bounce some ideas and techniques and for some musical enjoyment. To refresh the old memory really. (Had guitar lessons when I was a teenager, and then started a band and we all learned so much from that). Lapsed for about 25 years due to various things.... life in general mainly! Lol

Unfortunately for me I've found that a lot of musicians looking to collaborate with other musicians are looking to do it for professional reasons; hence auditions, lots of commitment etc. That's not for me unfortunately.

If you find any other forums or suchlike where amateurs are willing to get together once in a while to jam out some Classic Rock then let me know! [emoji450][emoji450][emoji450]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, sounds like quite a journey too. That sounds very reasonable actually, that so many out there obviously want commitment. For me it's just a hobby of course, but I'm enjoying it more and more the more competent I get. Unfortunately, I'm not competent enough to be in an official band of some sort, hence looking for a casual learner friendly set up.

I posted on gumtree earlier today as well, and within minutes I had what looked like a promising reply, but I later discovered to my shock I had somehow posted in the Queensland department.. hmm.

I will let you know if I find anything! Thanks again :)

Edited by subdividedyoghurt