Give Us a Chance!!

Phoenix16

This is gonna be a really controversial thread!! Im representing all my student Nurses! you go into this profession knowing you won't get paid mega dollars but you get to care for patients and make a difference! Now as a student nurse, not sure we even get to do that....WA has job freezes and even redundancies?? graduating is going to be so tough and yet it seems experienced nurses are being offered redundancies...these are the nurses we desperately hope to buddy up with, to get our experience from, to learn from, they will teach us to be the future nurses...its so frustrating (and please don't get offended) that nursing is still on the migration list when so many student nurses are coming through the ranks, wouldn't it be easier to invest time in the student nurses mentoring them into confident RN's and in turn them mentoring student nurses into RNs? im all for emigration but as a student nurse, I dont see why we still have nurses on the migration list???? like I said, controversial!!

The same issue in the UK. We can't hold on to experienced nurses, or a large number of them are facing retirement age. We have recently put nursing BACK on our skills shortages list, yet are planning on cutting nursing students bursaries, and have had pay freezes for goodness knows how many years. Invest money in current/future students, yes, but if we are unable to hold onto our own experienced nurses, then we need to fill these gaps with those who are willing to come and work in this country and share their knowledge. I work in a very busy London hospital, and the majority of our department's nurses are from the Philippines - some of the best nurses I have ever met. The NHS would crumble (more than already doing so) without overseas nurses.

Thank you for your reply!! I do agree with you! I have a friend who for unfortunate reasons has to return to the UK, she contacted a uni there to find out how much it would cost her in fees to continue her degree, they initially did not understand what she was talking about, eventually it was established that when /if she goes back to UK she joins a degree course that pays around 800 stering per month, as a student nurse!!!!!! After both of us collapsing in amazement as we pay fees here and no no no guarantees of a job when we qualify, we was amazed, and then to think, 200 at least in my cohort and still importing foreign nurses?????