Contributory aged parents visa 864 - bridging visa after expiration of ETA 601

Daughterinlaw

Hi,

Just seeking some clarity on bridging visas.

We are planning to sponsor my husbands parents via an onshore contributory aged parent visa (864), my husband is an Aus PR who has lived here for over two years, they are both over 65, he is their only child - so I believe they are eligible (once they are in Aus).

They have an ETA 601 which expires in Dec 2016, they are currently in the UK but are travelling to Aus in April, once here they can stay in Aus for three months on the ETA 601. I understand once we apply for the 864 and their current visa expires (three months after arriving in Aus so say Jul 2016) a bridging visa A automatically comes into place. I am wondering whether given the ETA 601 is still valid whether they can leave Aus before the three months is up and then return to Aus before the 864 is granted without transferring onto the bridging visa (and obviously without impacting the 864 application).

The current processing time for this visa is 9 months (according to the test to parents@border.gov.au) - if anyone has any other information on processing times I would be very interested to hear.

This would avoid needing to apply for a bridging visa B to allow them to travel back to the UK while the 864 is underway. They will still have their UK property which they only have insurance that allows them to be out of the country for 6 months and their travel insurance only provides coverage for 6 months also.

I am aware that technically that when arriving on an ETA they shouldnt intend to stay (I have a funny feeling they might have a change of heart and decide that they want to stay in aus once here!)

Hope the above makes sense. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The bridging visa doesn't come into effect as long as their existing visa is still valid. So if they're here on a visitor visa, they remain on the visitor visa until it expires and then the bridging visa will kick in. They could continue to travel on their existing visitor visa and wouldn't need to apply for a BVB unless the bridging visa from their 864 application had already taken effect.

Hello,

May I know where you guys/gals lodge an 864 application? According to the immi website (https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/864-), we can submit to any office. However, when I went to an office in Sydney, they told me to send it to the Perth office. My parents are planning to go out of Ausie for a holiday at the end of this week, and I'm wondering what happens if the Perth office received the 864 application while they are not in Australia.

I hope this is the right thread to ask this question.

Thanks

Archived