Anyone on here living in Albany or lived there in the past?

Heidiod

Hi,

just wondering What people's thoughts were on living in Albany. Currently in Perth but a bit fed up with living in the suburbs that are within our price range and Albany seems so much more affordable. It seems a bit scary though to move to such a country area as I have a lot of expat friends here!

Ask away. I know the area very well. Just back from a week down there. Quite impressed with the changes since previous visit. As for cheaper though not greatly. I looked a few houses having to be sold due to inability to pay and failed to strike a deal with either. I do not find the City cheap to purchase. As with everywhere there are cheaper areas.

Anything you want to know will try and answer. There is a considerable British born population located down there. Many rather aged. That segment of the population there actually slightly declined last census.

One interesting fact was that in 2011 a quarter of the population was aged sixty and over.

Are you able to locate work down there? Not a lot on that front unless in a few prime sectors or thinking of a business perhaps?

Thanks for the reply! My husband has the opportunity to work down there and he seems to think we would be better off financially but I'm not so sure about the whole idea. I'm Irish so like community spirit which is lacking in Perth(in my opinion based on where we have lived but know it's a huge place) so hubbie thinks I may be happier there. He has lived there for a few years in his early twenties and is from WA originally. I'm wary of going there as the Irish friends and mothers group really help and support me there so may end up lost in Albany! Do you know anything about the standard of the secondary schools there? Do many families send their kids to Perth? I loved being in Denmark but my husband thinks there is a bit of a problem there with drugs and says it's to small and lacks services. What do you think of the place or compare it with Albany? Thanks for your time!

Hello! Our family has only recently left Albany after 6 or so wonderful years there. Hubby has taken on a new career up the up in the big north and we are planning a move up there soon. We loved the climate there-summers and autumn are just delightful. Of course it does get cold & wet in winter down in the south but theres nothing like a nice cosy wooden heater & good local vino to warm the home & heart! Albany region itself is blessed in all seasons. Definitely go and have a good look around. I have spent countless mornings walking Middleton Beach early in the morning just after sunrise – simply the best way to start the day! (sorry Im waffling on now).

Yes there a quite a few retirees (probably given the cooler climate), but we found Albany is very family orientated with lots of people from all over the place after the same thing – a relaxed lifestyle with good steady work prospects. We ended up with a really interesting mix of friends whom really supported each other as we were all away from our families. Work in the town is quite steady and whilst you may make more money in the city, at what cost to your family I say (yes I am completely biassed!) I must admit we never really benefited from the mining boom however also we didn’t feel the ‘bust’ either. Most of our friends all had no problem with work. Always seemed to be plenty of employment around for folk in building, nursing (me) & aged care, administration, education and anything agricultural like. Retail & hospitality you may struggle a wee bit though. House prices can be very affordable and there is something to suit any budget. It really depends on what you want to live close to-we thought we would be by the sea after moving to Oz and ended up in the loveliest little cottage not far from town which we renovated as we had the money at hand.

Importantly for me (being a nurse) there are excellent health services in the town now, especially if you are under the Doctor. We never found wanting for Perth for good medical care even when our little buns were quite unwell. We found the shops more than sufficient for our needs, but then again we aren’t big into shopping. Hubby & me loved to eat out (mixed with a bit of imbibing!!) and there is a lot of choice – if you know where to look! Kids sports are a plenty in town but our little ones were more into dance & Gymnastics. There is a very lively local arts scene if you are that way inclined and the fabulous new entertainment complex now attracts world class acts. There is a great choice in schools for little ones as well depending on where you live with good school bus services. Our kids miss their little school so much!

Also have quite a few friends from around Denmark area – a beautiful place but for us it would have meant a lot of traveling as everything the kids did is in Albany. I wouldn’t say there is a drugs problem – it happens everywhere but there have been a few well known issues highlighted from time to time. Being in healthcare, I would say it is more a symptom of probably a lack of things to keep teenagers & young minds occupied. No shortage of young mums which was no different to my wee village back home if you know what I mean!!!

Well it seems im waffling and sounding like a paid ad but we miss what we had so much and would go back in a heartbeat if our circumstances changed. Life has a habit of throwing curved balls! If hubby has a good work option as you write then I would say go for it and cherish the time with your kids. Mine are growing up much too fast! Good luck in what ever you choose!

Thanks Taffy for all the info-still so undecided though! My little boy is in an independent Kindy now so want to get sorted before he starts pre-primary. Moving would mean me quitting my teaching job in Perth and starting all over again with that too which I would not like very much after going through the process of applications, interviews etc! Have to make our mins up within. Week however as we need to get our property on the market here if we're going to commit to the idea. What kind of dance lessons did your children do and which school did they attend? Hubby likes the Little Grove area but don't know much about the school.

Hope your move up north goes well-don't know if I could handle the heat as Perth is too much for me at times granted that we can't afford to be near the coast unless we opt for huge commute. We're in Manning now which is too far from the coast and although it's close to the city, we never go there as our kids are young! Thinking strongly this week that Albany may be a good move, even if only for a few years.

Thanks for your reply, definitely helped a lot and any other thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Heidi

Albany certainly could be a good move or at the very least giving it considerable thought, which would include a few visits in an attempt to catch the local vibe.

It can be superficially friendly but hard to really connect. I don't think you will find perhaps the emotional connection, obviously important to you, as you get from home(Ireland) or indeed Irish Families Association in Perth. I may be proved wrong, hope I am if you do decide, but be aware it may not be so.

Even with a very long association with the City and area, the issue of connecting in a meaningful way with the populace, is something both of us consider important to give in depth thought about.

I should add I have numerous contacts in the City from previous living but still harbour this fear. As I mentioned Albany has a quarter of its population over sixty years of age. Quite possibly the largest gathering of retired folk in WA. I must consult the stats on that again, but think I'm right in saying.

A lot of contact is made through things like Book Clubs, to which there are numerous. Bridge is another area where many I knew met, although the conversation, appeared to be stilted a little with a grand over emphasis on Bridge.

There is the Amateur Dramatics presentations, to which one can partake if Drama is a passion. There are of course loads of sporting clubs. One fellow I knew got to meet a few through joining a Hockey Club.

Now housing is a bit of a thorn in my side. It has escalated enormously. At least doubled or more from 2006 to levels where I find a little hard to see the affordability considering pay scales earned down there.

There are indeed cheaper areas in suburbs not always looked on favourably. Locations around the City out to Middleton Beach on to Emu Point and suburbs like Little Grove for example are not cheap.

I can't talk about schools with a view to the present but the chart issues on school performance, will be an indicator on present standards at Albany Senior High as well as the other one. (name escapes me) ASHS would have been about average in my time. A rather heavy emphasis though on leaving school earlier to enter a trade....but different times. I'll declare ignorance on present day proceedings.

Now for the positives as I don't wish to paint to glum a picture on Albany, in what must surely be one of WA's most attractive locations and areas. It has a wonderful coastline and perhaps some of the best beaches in the state( Esperance may pip the post though)

It has what I believe the best regional hospital outside the metro area in WA.

It has a great Cultural/Entertainment Centre right in the centre on the foreshore, close to the port. I'd suggest the best cultural activity outside of Perth.

There are a few well worth eating places with great locations. Hardly cheap though and pretty much Perth prices, but at least are available now, which wasn't the case in my days of living there.

For example Due South, by the harbour next to the Entertainment Centre, is a pure delight on a barmy Albany summer day/evening to sit outside and consume al fresco.

The Stirling Terrace precent (at the bottom of main drag, York St,) has really upped its game. The pubs, which I knew by differing degrees of roughness have totally modified. Even to the point of one having not one but two female Crowd Controllers.

'Some lovely cafes nearby with interesting outside sitting arrangements and a very switched on looking patronage in the main.

I find Albany far more accessible in most everything from beach to shopping, to the ability to cycle. Walking far more desirable than in Metro IMO. The walk from Middleton Beach to Emu Point, on hard sand is about 3 kms each direction. A very healthy start to the morning followed by a swim at the beach. We found most people passed offered a least a greeting in the sense of a' Good Morning', at the very least. Something not so apparent in Perth.

The loss of industry has changed the City, for the better, I may add, but of course the downside are less jobs, but far less trouble as well. Like a say a somewhat 'tough and 'rough' town a few decades back, now best described perhaps as a retirement/boutique holiday town with a definite softer centre.

Hope this helps a little. May send you a personal mail if you'd like a little more. But by and large a decent sort of place and we are considering options as Perth as perhaps ran its course. Albany would certainly find a place for us, to consider in the wider picture of relocation

Thanks Taffy for all the info-still so undecided though! My little boy is in an independent Kindy now so want to get sorted before he starts pre-primary. Moving would mean me quitting my teaching job in Perth and starting all over again with that too which I would not like very much after going through the process of applications, interviews etc! Have to make our mins up within. Week however as we need to get our property on the market here if we're going to commit to the idea. What kind of dance lessons did your children do and which school did they attend? Hubby likes the Little Grove area but don't know much about the school.

Hope your move up north goes well-don't know if I could handle the heat as Perth is too much for me at times granted that we can't afford to be near the coast unless we opt for huge commute. We're in Manning now which is too far from the coast and although it's close to the city, we never go there as our kids are young! Thinking strongly this week that Albany may be a good move, even if only for a few years.

Thanks for your reply, definitely helped a lot and any other thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Heidi

Little Grove Primary is a very good school, all of the primary schools are.

You may struggle to get a teaching position in Albany(unless you are secondary trained) if that is a consideration. Teachers hold onto their jobs there until they retire, it is a very popular place. However, you will be able to pick up relief work here and there or if you are religious, you have a good chance of a job at the religious private schools.

There is a wide choice of excellent education choices in Albany due to the large number of both private and government schools that cater K-12. It would be extremely rare for anybody to send their child to Perth for secondary education as there are so many excellent schools there, what is more common is for rural farmers to send their children to Albany for their secondary studies. The only high school I would not recommend would be NASH's near Mount Lockyer, but that is a personal choice.

The only areas to avoid to live are really Mount Lockyer and Spencer Park, Mount Lockyer in particular.

Albany is beautiful and has a lot to offer, hence the reason so many people from Perth either move down there or go to cool off from the summer heat.

Housing may not be particularly affordable in regards to buying in the more expensive areas like Middleton Beach and Emu Point (there are affordable rentals there though).

However, there ARE absolutely many gorgeous suburbs where property is very affordable to buy and very family orientated. There are also lots of new homes being built in Lower King around Oyster Bay which are very nice, especially as it is a rural area but only a five minute drive to the city centre.

Albany is a beautiful place and only a four hour drive from Perth, so it is easily accessible to the city when needed. It is very much geared towards young families, with an abundance of sporting clubs and arts activities. I would say that it is very easy to make friends, especially with children.

A lot of young are forced to leave town of course, due to education and especially professional advancement. Stats point to a rather low per cent of the population in the twenty plus age range.

Oyster Harbour has some good sized housing and has really opened up in recent years. A new supermarket has not long opened in the area with other shops to follow. I was amazed at how this area had grown.

I certainly know a teacher down there, he moved there from Perth in the nineties and never returned. A good gig no doubt if can come by a position.

I completely forgot to comment on Denmark, which was part of your question.

Denmark is a rather charming small town an easy drive from Albany, being 52 kms away and offers a pleasant retreat. We did recently consider a business on offer there but hesitated as not really on reflection probably a long term location for us. Very nice but limited. I do enjoy some of the wines from the Denmark region. Among my Aussie favourite.

I do find the town rather over priced though very geared towards tourism, just not enough to warrant armament stay. Now I always attempt to find out the natives opinions with regards the place they live in, and both women I spoke to gave very high points to the local primary school. In fact one is only staying on until her child completes the local primary....as her husband works elsewhere.

No idea about the local High School, but seem to recall from days past it only went to Year 9. Could that still be the case? Albany is only an half hours drive away.....

With regards to Albany, the two government high schools go until year 12, there are also three private schools that offer K-12 schooling.

There are private primary schools as well as an abundance of government primary schools, so lots of choice. The government primary schools are zoned, as are the two government high schools.

The high school in Denmark also offers education until year 12.

The University of WA also has a small campus in Albany, so many of the young now have the option (and do stay) to study there rather than leave, though many still do for the different universities in Perth.

Archived