Moving to Melbourne

Guest lou17

Guest lou17

Hi :cute:

I am about to move to Melbourne with my husband and our 3 boys (11 and twins of 8). We have looked at the Where to Live in M.... guide and have been scouring the internet for houses to rent/buy. We will probably rent for the first 12 months and then buy when we have decided on areas etc.

My hubby has had a short visit already, to meet new work colleagues, and has had a quick tour of the Bayside area. We are all going over next week to visit prospective schools and to try and decide on an area to live.

Anybody got any advice on areas to live/schools etc ? Must admit I'm feeling abit worried about move ! Think its just fear of the unknown !!

Have just found this site and this is my first visit !

xx

Worried of the Netherlands (!)

Hi and welcome to pio can you give alot more info on what you want And the price of what you can afford. What are your kids into? will they try new sports or do only want to play soccer? where will your husband be working? will you be working what do you do? all private info but as ive said many times its no good saying one place if it does not fit your needs!!!

Thanks

Geoffrey

Guest lou17

Ok ! Heres the low down !!

James, my husband, will be working on Kilda Rd and we are planning/hoping/wondering if he can use public transport to get to the office. I expect the roads are the usual city madness in rush hour......

Our twins (8) and very keen football (soccer ) players and the whole family seem to get roped in every w/e here ! They are generally very keen on sport - cricket, swimming but mainly footie. Our eldest (11) is not so keen. He is, however, a budding thespian and is very keen to get involved in some drama groups/projects.

House wise - we would probably have between 1-1.3m $ to spend. The sites we've looked at on the internet give quite a wide choice in this bracket. More for your money if you move further inland. Ideally 4-bed tho and we would probably go for a more modern one. The auction system is new to us and I am keen to know more about it. Presumably the prices shown are only guide prices and the house will sell for more ? How much more tho ?!

I would like to get back to work at some point in the future but probably not for a while. I want to make sure everyone is settled first. (Thats my excuse, anyway, and I'm sticking to it !!).

As I mentioned we are coming out next week and plan to visit a couple of schools that can accommodate our boys and also to visit the Brighton, Hampton areas.

Thanks so much for replying ! Any info/tips you can give us will be much appreciated !

Hi

with your budget a house or area will not be a problem. Since your husband will be working on St kilda road, tram would be the quickest way to get to work so what I will do is give you the tram routes that way you have an idea of what suburbs the trams run through. MELBOURNE Train & Tram map if you find Albert park, St kilda road runs next to it.

I have also a junior soccer web site listing all the clubs for your kids Football Federation Victoria as for your other son if you go to google.com.au and type in junior drama clubs melbourne loads of sites will come up.

If you can work out what club your 2 boys want to join and the drama club that your other son likes on the tram line that goes past your husband works, You have found the suburb thats right for your family (cross fingers)

Other than that travel on a few trams and you should get the feel for what you like.

I hope this info has helped

Enjoy your trip let us know how you get on, if you need any more info just let me know

Geoffrey

Guest Nick&Sharon

Hi,

If you wan to receive a copy of "Where to live in Melbourne" I have recently been sent it and has proven very useful in identifying the areas for schools, crime, house price guide etc etc.

I have recently been offered a job in the Melbourne Office with my present company and just awaiting all the details and sorting visa etc. so very early days at present.

If you send your email address I will attach the pdf. (3MB)

Regards

Nick & Sharon

Soon to be in Melbourne

Guest lou17

Hi Nick and Sharon,

We already have a copy - but thanks for the offer ! You're right, its very useful !

We definitley like the look of the Bayside area but will try to look further when we come for a visit next week. I'm really keen to see Melbourne and I think I'll feel much happier about the move when I can get a mental picture in my head when talking about it (!?) Does this sound strange ??

Hope you know what I mean !

Good look with all your plans.

Best regards,

Linda

Guest lou17

Hi,

Fantastic ! Many thanks for all your advice. I will have a look at the clubs/drama sites straight away. As expats living in Holland, the sports clubs were no problem to find but the promise of an english speaking drama club for my eldest son was a real 'bonus/bribe' for us !

We will make sure we hop on and off a few trams too. It will give us an idea of timings etc into James' office etc.

Am going off to look at your sites now !

Many thanks again !

Linda

• 3 months later...
Guest Filipina
Hi,

If you wan to receive a copy of "Where to live in Melbourne" I have recently been sent it and has proven very useful in identifying the areas for schools, crime, house price guide etc etc.

I have recently been offered a job in the Melbourne Office with my present company and just awaiting all the details and sorting visa etc. so very early days at present.

If you send your email address I will attach the pdf. (3MB)

Regards

Nick & Sharon

Soon to be in Melbourne

Hi Nick and Sharon,

I'm Fara,we are also heading to Melbourne,I'm a nurse and I'll be working in The Alfred.We are hoping to move by the end of this year so the kids will start school on january.

Would it be alright if you send me a copy of Moving to Melbourne, my email add is farafernandez@yahoo.com.:smile:

thanks in advance,have a good day!

Hi,

Fantastic ! Many thanks for all your advice. I will have a look at the clubs/drama sites straight away. As expats living in Holland, the sports clubs were no problem to find but the promise of an english speaking drama club for my eldest son was a real 'bonus/bribe' for us !

We will make sure we hop on and off a few trams too. It will give us an idea of timings etc into James' office etc.

Am going off to look at your sites now !

Many thanks again !

Linda

Hi,

I have been in Melbourne for 4 months now and my office is on St Kilda Rd, I get the train into the city (we live in Sanctuary Lakes) and then head to the office from Flinders St station. Please be aware that the trams are a nightmare during the "crush hour", I find it easier and sometimes quicker to make the 25min walk than get the tram.

I am actually a fan of the transport system here in Melbourne, however the trams are seriously overcrowded between 7-9 in the morning and after 5 in the afternoon (they are an accident waiting to happen in my opinion). If you want to get a true feeling of your husbands commute to work then please do try it at the times he would normally make the journey.

Perhaps your husbands route will be less crowded than the one I travel, just want to make you aware of the problems he may face.

Hope you's have a great time in Melbourne, we love it (except the trams!!!)

DSL

Guest Hello Kitty

Bayside is a very nice part of Melbourne to live.

Here are the suburbs in order from the city:

St. Kilda - not really a family suburb. Can get noisy on weekends and some undesirables hanging about. Not ideal for families.

Elwood - Nice suburb but lots of flats with a transient population of students and young people renting. Probably not idea for families.

Elsternwick - not right on the beach but back a bit. Older suburb and nice area to live. It has a large Jewish population as does Caulfield. Most of the other bayside suburbs I have mentioned are not very multi-cultural which is a bit of a downside for us.

East Brighton - a bit cheaper than Brighton but not as close to the beach. Still only a few kilometres to the beach. There are two big parks there - Dendy Park and Landcox Park. Dendy park is more for sport and Landcox just a lovely suburban park with a pond. East Brighton has lots of nice homes and is a safe and convenient suburb.

Family oriented suburb.

Brighton - very expensive. Lots of expensive houses, expensive cars and ladies who lunch. Think women with blonde hair and lots of jewellery playing tennis and 'doing lunch'. Having said that it is a lovely suburb with many lovely homes. Church Street is the main shopping street. Many private schools in the area.

Hampton - Not as expensive as Brighton but not cheap either. Lots of character homes and a safe suburb by the beach. Family oriented and I am sure there are many soccer, football clubs etc. Main shopping street is Hampton Street.

Sandringham - Similar to Hampton in many ways. Small shopping village.

Black Rock - Not quite as old as Sandringham, Hampton and Brighton. Nice, safe, family oriented suburb. Small shopping village.

Beaumaris - most homes are post war but many large, new homes there also. Very safe beachside suburb with a good community feel. Shopping village is called 'The Concourse (just off Reserve Road).

All of these suburbs will be very pleasant and safe to live in. I would suggest you get in your car when you visit and spend time in each suburb having a look around the streets and main shopping areas and get a feel for each suburb.

Most of these suburbs range from expensive to very expensive with median house prices over $700,000. Some suburbs that are close but a bit cheaper and where you might get more house for your dollar is Bentleigh, Ormond and McKinnon, Mentone.

As far as schools go you can either go private, public or Catholic system. There are good schools in all these suburbs. You just have to ask around and talk to the locals to find out the best schools to send your kids. There are some excellent private schools but also excellent Catholic schools and public schools also. You probably don't need to send them to private schools at primary school age as the public schools are generally very good in these areas. My nephew goes to Elsternwick Primary and they are very happy with the school.

There are heaps of sporting clubs around. There is OZKIck (Aussie rules) for boys in the Winter or GOAL KICK which is soccer. There is KANGA Cricket clinics in summer and there are heaps of opportunities for sport. Check out some of their websites.

There are two large shopping malls not too far away. Southland is on Nepean Highway in Cheltenham and Chadstone Shopping Centre is in Chadstone which is a bit further away from the Bayside area. Chadstone is great for fashion though they are in the midst of some renovations.

As far as your hubby driving to work - it is a very pleasant drive along Beach Road in the morning looking at the sea glistening in the sunshine. You can only go 60km/hour but it is much more relaxing than driving along the highway.

Lets us know your thoughts once you have been.

Archived