Altona Beach

amibovered

Altona Beach is a bit of a hidden gem. Pretty beach pier, and esplanade with free parking (unlike nearby Williamstown) and a good selection of shops including a Polish deli (very important to an old Polak like me). Far to the rear there is a large oil refinery, but this is buffered from the town by a large lake and wetlands. I've visited Altona Beach four times now. It's great unhurried place to chillout in the cafes during weekdays and good for a family beach activities during weekends. Recently we went there to celebrate Waitangi Day (New Zealand's national day) and enjoy music, stalls and activities put on by the area's Maori community. Easy travel into Melbourne by rail with a station in the centre of town, however car commuters face the challenge of getting across the Westgate Bridge - no fun during the rush hour ... but who'd want to drive to work in Melbourne? Only downside: On my first visit we did smell the oil refinery - the wind must have been in the "wrong" direction.