Assessment for Autism Spectrum Disorder for 7 year old

Buyer71

I am wondering if anyone can give me information about Autism Spectrum Disorder Assessments for children. We currently live in the UK but are looking at a move to Melbourne, my husband is Australian and wants to return home, therefore our children are also Australian as have citizenship and passports.

Our youngest daughter is on a waiting list for a full Autism assessment as has some indicators and has been through an initial triage through the Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services. At the moment the waiting lists for full assessments are up to 18 to 20 months and we are only 4 months into our wait.

My daughter is at mainstream school and coping well with this. I was wondering if anyone had supported their child through an autism assessment in Australia and how long the waiting lists are for this, also what health services are available to you?

Victoria doesn't offer much for kids on the less needy end of the spectrum - they focus attention on those kids whose capacity is consistently in the bottom few percent across the board. You might find she gets nothing at all if she is in a mainstream setting without support at the moment. It would be worth checking with the department about what evidence they are likely to require because it will be more than just a "diagnosis" http://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/principals/health/Pages/progstudentsdisabilities.aspx is a good place to start

I am wondering if anyone can give me information about Autism Spectrum Disorder Assessments for children. We currently live in the UK but are looking at a move to Melbourne, my husband is Australian and wants to return home, therefore our children are also Australian as have citizenship and passports.

Our youngest daughter is on a waiting list for a full Autism assessment as has some indicators and has been through an initial triage through the Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services. At the moment the waiting lists for full assessments are up to 18 to 20 months and we are only 4 months into our wait.

My daughter is at mainstream school and coping well with this. I was wondering if anyone had supported their child through an autism assessment in Australia and how long the waiting lists are for this, also what health services are available to you?

We gave up on the public process (after 4 years) and went through private to get it assessed.

Archived