Short term super advice

Hi, I have just started work in healthcare and will only be working until the end of June this year.I understand that I am obliged to contribute to super but I will only be paying in for 4 months.Does anyone know if I can claim back all my contributions because I am paying in for less than 6 months? And can anyone recommend a fund for this short term period.Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.thanks.

Hi chilliboy

Conditions of release to access super can be found here: https://www.ato.gov.au/Super/Self-managed-super-funds/Paying-benefits/Conditions-of-release/

Typically as a permanent resident you will not meet any of these unless you retire, simply moving back to the UK does not satisfy them.

Regards

Andy

Hi chilliboy

Conditions of release to access super can be found here: https://www.ato.gov.au/Super/Self-managed-super-funds/Paying-benefits/Conditions-of-release/

Typically as a permanent resident you will not meet any of these unless you retire, simply moving back to the UK does not satisfy them.

Regards

Andy

Andy, once reaching preservation age would any lump sum super withdrawal and/or pension be wholly or part taxed if you were no longer a resident in Australia?

Hello Keith and Linda

This would depend on a number of things, age, super components (taxable/tax free), amount of withdrawal etc in addition to this just reaching preservation age does not automatically mean a full condition of release has been met it would also depend on your working status (if under age 65).

Email me with specifics if you like and I will see if I can give you the answer :)

Hello Keith and Linda

This would depend on a number of things, age, super components (taxable/tax free), amount of withdrawal etc in addition to this just reaching preservation age does not automatically mean a full condition of release has been met it would also depend on your working status (if under age 65).

Email me with specifics if you like and I will see if I can give you the answer :)

It was more of a general question Andrew in being non resident and basically taking (when eligible to do so) the money straight out of Australia. As a resident super withdrawals would be tax free but as a non-resident is it still tax free?

The info I have read from ATO says that as a non resident (foreigner) you have to declare your residency status to the fund administrators for tax purposes, but it does not seem to make clear what tax if any is payable on the super lump sum or pension.

Hi Keith and Linda

Sorry for the delay my parents have been here for a visit, the first time since we moved here 8 years ago so we have been spending quality time with them, they left last night.

I have answered a question on this before and this was also confirmed by our superannuation technical guru as follows:

Superannuation benefits (tax-free component and taxable component – taxed element) received by a person (resident or non-resident) who is aged 60 or older, are treated as non-assessable non-exempt income from an Australian tax perspective. Of course, if the person has a taxable component – untaxed element, it is still subject to Australian tax.

Even though a person aged 60 or over may pay no tax on their Australian sourced superannuation benefits (tax-free and/or taxable component - element taxed), they may still be liable for tax in their country of residency.

Where a benefit is withdrawn by a former resident and they are between their preservation aged and 60, the taxable component of their lump sum benefit is taxable in Australia. However, they are entitled to the low rate threshold of $195,000 (below which the benefit is tax free) and, where tax is payable a tax offset is available to reduce the effective rate of tax to a maximum of 15%.

I hope this answers your question, please note the above does not refer to people who were temporary residents.

KR

Andy