best way to approach rental applications as new arrivals

aaminuk

I've received my 457, looking to arrive around the 20th March.

I have some temp accommodation booked in till the end of the month, but i'm aware that as a new entrant, regardless of the salary, I will be considered a risk, so wondered what should i be looking to do to ensure that we find somewhere we like and get a successful application in.

my main criteria is a great school for my kids, so looking at the moment in a pretty wide band from doncaster round to glen waverley around to caulfield, so not being precious about the area in the first few years!

any hints and tips on what I should say/do etc?

The rental market used to be extremely competitive, maybe slightly less so now.

Still, be prepared to apply on the spot when you view. Have application forms ready to hand over. Many real estate agents have them ready to hand out, or download from their website.

They are interested in money and that you can show sufficient funds to pay the rent.

You'll likely need bank statements, and anything else you can get which shows you as a safe risk. Job contract, salary details, a short bio of the family often helps too.

The temp accom should also be regarded as a tenant history, so that's good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good call on the temp accomodation, thanks! I'm confident we will have the $$, just need to collect the right info to support the applications. at the moment, I'm looking at rentals ordered by oldest first, on the basis that they have been empty the longest time, and landlords will be more keen to progress with us.

I never found that anyone found me a risk as new arrival...they just most interested in proof of income n that was that...didn't have issues..I would go for places u like not necessarily the oldest listed...if you have work it should be ok...some places were funny with uk references but once explained it was usually ok

As a landlord, I would happily accept a new arrival, provided they could persuade me they could afford the rent and would look after the property.

Note that an agent is not allowed to rent to you sight unseen, so while it is fun to look on websites at places to rent, you won't be able to rent one until you are here.

BB

• 1 month later...
I've received my 457, looking to arrive around the 20th March.

I have some temp accommodation booked in till the end of the month, but i'm aware that as a new entrant, regardless of the salary, I will be considered a risk, so wondered what should i be looking to do to ensure that we find somewhere we like and get a successful application in.

my main criteria is a great school for my kids, so looking at the moment in a pretty wide band from doncaster round to glen waverley around to caulfield, so not being precious about the area in the first few years!

any hints and tips on what I should say/do etc?

Hi Aaminuk,

I worked as a leasing consultant for a Melbourne real-estate agent for many years and there is absolutely a few tips and tricks that international renters can use when trying to trying to secure a rental property. As others have already mentioned, what the landlord and managing agents are really looking for is - can this person pay the rent and are they going to look after the property?

To alleviate their concerns about rent being paid, it is always highly attractive to be able to offer a number of months rent in advance. This shows your commitment to the property and will automatically place your application on the top of the pile - the more months of rent that you can afford to pay in advance the better. Depending on your current living situation your references will differ. If you own your own property in the U.K, you can provide a proof of ownership document such as a council rates notice or something similar. If you have sold your home or if it is currently on the market you could provide the link to the online advertising of the property so as that the agent can see how you care for your current property. If you are leasing your property out you can give the Australian agent the contact details of your U.K agent so as that they can contact him/her for a referral of how you kept the property and what you have been like to deal with. The more information you can provide, and the more transparent you are the better. Good Luck!! x0

Archived