Moving to Melbourne from the UK with three children

Buyer71

My husband has just been offered a job in Melbourne and we are trying to find out as much information as possible about choosing the right suburb for us to live in.

We would ideally like to rent for the first 6-12 months with a view to buying at a later date, we would like to have four bedrooms and have a budget of up to $700 per week for rent and $1.1 million to buy.

We would like to be no more than 40 mins by public transport from the Parkville area as this is where my husbands job is going to be and we would like to just have the one car.

We would also like a family friendly suburb with both primary and secondary schools as our children are 7,9 and 15.

Many thanks for any comments or thoughts that you have that can help us with our decision.

We are in Watsonia.

Rental requirements should be achievable in this area. (ours is just over $500pw, large 4 bed house in large gardens with several outbuildings, garage, workshop).

Driving to Parkville in peak traffic can be challenging but do-able in 40mins (often two of us in the car going to the hospital for clinics, so we can use the transit lane on the Freeway)

Public transport to the city centre is 40mins by train, then a 5 min tram ride to Parkville.

Schools, shops, public transport, library, dentist, doctors, cafe's, etc etc.

Many thanks Susukiscottie and Buzzy-Bee for your thoughts, these are areas that we have looked at online but weren't sure of so always good to get suggestions from people who know the area and have insight into what is available.

I am really keen to manage with one car but we do have two in the UK so not sure how long we will cope with but I guess we should give it a go.