Speciality Nurse looking to migrate to OZ!

alexmullenevans

Hey,

I am looking for advice on what i need to do regarding migrating to western Australia. I am a 22 year old British male, who has been a registered Accident & Emergency Nurse for 12 months now and undergoing specific courses to obtain better qualifications to better myself. I also have a long term partner and wondering what would the process be for him to migrate with me?

Kind Regards.

Alex

Would you be looking for a permanent residency visa, or perhaps going for a working holiday visa for 12 months? Have a look at the immigration government website, you can answer a few simple questions, and it will give you some visa options.

If you want to go for a permanent visa, you would need to ensure you had enough points - as long as you have a degree, I'd imagine you would meet the requirement of 60 points. Your partner would be able to come on this visa with you. Diploma nurses are having a lot of drama trying to register at the moment. For the nursing bit - The process involves English language tests, ANMAC skills assessment, and registration with AHPRA (aussie NMC).

I'm also an A&E nurse, hopefully going across with approx 12 months experience. :)

Hello Kylie,

I am looking for a permanent residency visa. I have a diploma but i have many additional qualifications such as ILS, and going back to university to complete my Anaesthetic Practitioner training which will get me credits towards my degree.

What drama do you mean? is there no online test which will give you an idea if you would need to do all the other tests?

Also would my partner get permanent residency with me too? And could you combine points as he is a Police Officer?

Thanks,

You can't combine points, but he would be able to travel as your partner on a permanent residency visa.

A lot of diploma trained nurses are having to do make-up modules to gain a degree before being able to register fully with AHPRA. I would ensure that the modules you are going to do are enough to make up for this. I don't think ILS would count toward this. If you look through the forum, there are a few nursing threads, with other diploma-nurses experiences. Also check out a facebook page called UK nurses wanting AHPRA and ANMAC.

Diploma qualified nurses no longer meet the minimum criteria for a visa. You have to have a degree or Masters. Your work experience points are unlikely to start counting until you have that as for almost all occupations points for experience only start being counted post qualification.

If your partner is a police officer then be aware they will have to reapply and go through the same recruitment process as everyone else. In the past there have been overseas recruitment drives, however due to the rising unemployment currently occurring in Aus/WA, and the mining downturn, there are plenty of Australian applicants and there has been no issues filling places here.

The huge positive here is that at only 22 you have loads of time to top up to a degree and get more experience without points being impacted at all for age.

Hello Kylie,

I am looking for a permanent residency visa. I have a diploma but i have many additional qualifications such as ILS, and going back to university to complete my Anaesthetic Practitioner training which will get me credits towards my degree.

What drama do you mean? is there no online test which will give you an idea if you would need to do all the other tests?

Also would my partner get permanent residency with me too? And could you combine points as he is a Police Officer?

Thanks,

unless you are degree trained they will not grant you registration etc as a nurse. No matter how experienced you are, the rules are now very strict, no degree no reg. I also don't think your partner could come on a permanent visa with you unless you can provide all the info for defacto relationship. Much easier if you hav been together and lived together for quite some time. This would be different if you were married, but at 22 perhaps not yet high on your list! If you can add him to your visa then you might be able to get points for him, but he would have to undergo a skills assessment too. The best thing you could do right now is approach a couple of MARA registered migration agents for a free skills assessment. They will point you in the right direction. You don't have to sign up to them to get some advice so you could take the info and plan your next steps. Don't spent a penny until you are sure you can go forward, otherwise you will just waste money. The alternative is to work towards getting your degree and then plan to come at a later time.

Hello Kylie,

Thanks,

As long as you can prove you are living togetherr and have been in a de facto relationship for 12 months or more he would come as a dependent on your visa, and like you, would have permanent residence.

Archived