Get me to oz :)

MattK1402

Hi all,

I have been referred to this thread after my strong consideration to move out to OZ to follow my career.

Now i have done the basic research (how much can i earn, how much is living costs) etc etc

But from your points of view, what are the key points i need to do more research on and look into in order of making sure my move is viable.

I wanted to make this move a few years ago but other things came up and the idea took a back seat.

Now im ready to follow my dreams and get out there!

:) Thanks

I would've thought skilled migrant yes. i wasn't sure which options are best for working out there.

Well you will need a visa to visit, and a particular range of visas to work.

Is your occupation on this list?

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

Or this one?

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/CSOL

Ok.

A couple of states are sponsoring that occupation so that's good.

So the next step is to see if you would qualify for a skills assessment from AIM

Their criteria is as below:

Have a proven record in a senior functional management position over a continuous period of at least three (3) years, requiring the delegation of authority directly to three or more subordinate managers each of whom hold positions requiring the delegation of work to three or more subordinates in managerial, supervisory or technical positions;

Hold the most senior management position within the applicant’s functional area of responsibility within the organisation;

Report directly to the Owner of the business, Corporate General Manager, Chief Executive Officer or Managing Director; or report directly to the Department Head if the applicant works within the public sector: or provide consultancy advice as a Senior Management Consultant to client organisations at the level of Corporate General Manager or above;

Have the decision making responsibility, through delegation to three or more subordinate managers, for a range of specific responsibilities in the applicant’s functional area;

Be wholly responsible for achieving his/her functional responsibilities within the organisation;

Have had a proven and successful experience in a broad range of managerial responsibilities prior to being appointed to the top functional position.

First thing is.Make sure you are making the right Decision.Australia wouldn't be the best place to immigrate to at this point in time.Thousands are moving back to the Uk.Even 25,000 Australian 's immigrated to New Zealand in 2015.We have retired, we have lived in Australia since 1986.Had a good life.But no better than our life long friends at home.In the Uk.Infact if i had my life to live over.we that's my wife,2 sons and 2 daughters.would have stayed where we belonged Never really Settled here,there is a lot of anti pommy feeling with some Aussies.. It's your Choice.But In My Humble opinion,you give up far too much.For so little return.Money ,a bigger house, Sun And Beaches Mean Nothing In the end. In fact we will be glad to see the back of the heat and humidity.It's getting worse.Or maybe it just gets worse as you get older. Probably a good reason for us to return is.Australia isn't a nice place to grow old. When i Die My wife would have to sell up she couldn't afford the up keep of the house we have.Rates etc are seriously high.Cost of Living very high.Without a car life wouldn't be Worth Living and they are bring in restrictions on elderly drivers all the time.My wife has been told she will have her liecence takenoff her if she doesn't get her cataracts done.There's a 7 year waiting list,her knees need to be done thas a 5 year waiting list.The Medical costs for private care are too much.They have taken Just about all the Medication we take off the PPS.So we now have to Pay 5 times more for priscriptions.Everyone is Soon Going to have to pay to see a doctor.That's $97ea + medication.My neighbour a young mother with 2 children,says every time she visits the doctor with her children,if cost her around $300.They say Australia is heading for a recession,I'm not surprised,now that the mining boom is over,Another Company has just gone Broke,And 3000 have lost their jobs.Australia is broke and borrowing $100 million a day to stay afloat.But Good Luck At Whatever you do.

Holy hell Zack you ,your wife and your 'friends' need to find a new Doctor, i have never heard of a Dr charging almost $100 ,lol. I'd hazard a good guess 95% of Dr's in Brisbane Bulk Bill for kids, this means there is no charge at all. For adults its around $65 and Medicare refund approx $36, however lots of Dr's around me bulk bill adults if its a quick appointment. (i go every 3 mths for a B12 injection and the Dr does not charge me.)

To the OP prices vary lots,especially State to State,, yes some people are moving back to the UK, but some are also moving from the Uk to Aus, some even ping ponging back to Aus. Yes things are more expensive than 5 or 6 years ago, but i'd guess this could be said for most country's. Lots of migrants here still have a great life and enjoy the lifestyle Aus offers. Lots of luck with your research, do some job searches and see what vacancies etc are in your field, especially if you can narrow down an area (some States seem to be doing better than others) Seek, Alljobs , career one , etc are great for this, but also try to find local papers on line as lots of smaller companies advertise locally rather than on big websites..

Cal x

Archived