Advice on short and long term rentals

grapnel81

Hello,

I am planning to arrive in Melbourne in a few months time with my family. We're planning to stay in some short term rental accommodation while we look for long term accommodation.

Can anyone recommend any cheap short term accommodation? I'm thinking any kind of apartment or caravan park with cabins etc. We need at least one separate bedroom. I don't have any preference on areas as I don't really know Melbourne, but not in the CBD and not somewhere dodgy with crime. Just somewhere to stay while we sort out long term accommodation.

Also, can anyone recommend any suburbs to look in for long term rentals? Again, I don't have any preference on areas at this stage, just as cheap as possible ($300-350/w 3 bed) and safe (low crime). Schools are not important at this stage. Good access to public transport would be useful. I've been looking at houses around Point Cook and Altona, but I'm open to any (cheap, low crime) suggestion.

Many thanks!

For long term rentals...do you know where you will be working? Melbourne is 6+ times the size of Greater London (with poorer transport links) so location of employment will be an important factor.

Hi,

No I don't. I may or may not have have a job when I arrive. Probably not. I think I would most likely find a job in the CBD. I'm assuming a commute into the CBD at this point. I guess I'm after some ideas for cheap(er), but low crime areas. It's hard to know where to start looking, with the city being so large.

Many thanks,

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum. For short term rentals take a look here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=208 also on stayz.

Like Skani said Melbourne is huge and there are so many different areas/suburbs to choose from.

Are you young? Have you got children? What line of work will you be in? How long of a commute do you need? Will you need easy access to schools etc etc the list goes on.

If you were a family with young children I would look at Point Cook or the South East suburbs. If you are a professional couple then I would be looking at the inner burbs.

Hi and welcome to the forum. For short term rentals take a look here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=208 also on stayz.

Like Skani said Melbourne is huge and there are so many different areas/suburbs to choose from.

Are you young? Have you got children? What line of work will you be in? How long of a commute do you need? Will you need easy access to schools etc etc the list goes on.

If you were a family with young children I would look at Point Cook or the South East suburbs. If you are a professional couple then I would be looking at the inner burbs.

Hi,

Yes, we're a family with young children. I've been looking at Point Cook, and it seems about what I'm looking for.

Many thanks,