Family of 5 coming to Melbourne! Help I'm scared!?!?!

Dackml

Hi,

I am moving to Melbourne in December 16. I am wanting to be a part time primary teacher. I have full teacher qualifications and 2 years experience. I have 3 sons who will be 5, 8 and 10 by the time we arrive. After a couple of visits to Melbourne we have decided in Altona, Altona meadows, and perhaps point cook type areas to settle. How long does it take to get a rented property? We have a holiday home for a month. How do you register your children in school? What documents do I need to buy a car, and will I be be able to get finance for a vehicle. Are there many part-time teacher jobs? I'm happy to do supply for a while. My husband is a revit consultant (building design software) and has autocad, BIM management (no clue what this is!!) and other sustainable building design related skills also. Any pearls of wisdom much appreciated!

Guest The Pom Queen

It's 1am here in Australia but I will try and remember to reply in the morning if no one else has answered your questions, i just wanted to say don't stress.

Enrollment in school is easy once you have a longer term rental - just rock up to the local school and enrol them. They are obliged to find a place.

Teachers - when you say fully qualified do you mean 3 year or 4 year trained. If 3 years you won't be eligible to teach. Jobs are hard to come by and there are thousands of young teachers out there looking. You will need to register with the Dept of Ed anyway.

You should get a rental in a month.

You will probably need an income to get a loan for a car. Lots of new arrivals just go with a banger to get them started. Can't remember what docs were required to buy one.

Welcome, teaching jobs can be hard to come by. The majority of them are contract positions these days. The jobs advertised often have a contract teacher already there and they just advertise the job because they have to and the teacher on contract stays on. Both of my children are teachers, however my daughter does not teach she works in business. My son teaches and he has never mentioned there being any part time teachers. That may be because there are so many teachers looking for work they do not need part time ones. Supply is a way into teaching. There are a lot of vacancies for teachers but they are out in the country areas and country here is nothing like UK. Just be warned that it may take some time for you to become established and find a position.

I would wait until you arrive to decide where to live because often the areas you have chosen are not to your liking or suitable once you arrive here. Child care is expensive here and you have to pay fees to go to kindergarten and all school books are paid for by parents. The only thing free is the education in a state school everything else like excursions etc has to be paid for.

Some schools are strictly zoned due to demand so if you are interested in sending your children to one of these schools you will have to live in the zone.

There are a lot of Brits living in Point Cook and over in the west in general and most seem to like it a lot. Melbourne is divided east is east and west is west and people tend to live on a preferred side. North is also becoming very popular with new arrivals.

There are many groups around on the web that may be able to help you just have a google for them.

Good luck

Hi,

I mean 4 years training. I realise I will only be able to register provisionally and have started that process with VIT I just need to send my documents off to them. A banger sounds a good plan to get started. Sounds like it's not so easy to be a class teacher but I suppose I'm in not too bad of a position as I'm fine with doing supply and I guess they always need supply teachers right?