Surprise 190 Visa State Sponsorship

shargreaves

Having gone through the ups and downs of applying for a visa a year ago, we have all but given up hope until, out of the blue, this week we received a call from our agent to say that NSW had reviewed their skills shortage list and that they would like to invite us to apply for a state sponsored 190 visa. A little shocked now to say the least. I am a qualified and experienced graphic designer and we are claiming 70 points.

12 months ago we were looking at a 489 family sponsored visa for WA, but with being unable to secure a full time job offer we had given up hope. Our agent never gave up trying, but on numerous occasions we thought to ourselves that we better call it a day and tell the agent to stop.

Now NSW wouldn't have been our first choice, but to get us a foot in the door we will jump at the chance. We know nothing about NSW, Sydney, suburbs, employment, schooling etc. Time to start researching.

Congratulations! Must have been a nice surprise!

Can't go wrong with Sydney, it's the unofficial capital city so there is generally a lesser shortage of jobs. It's quite a bit more expensive than other states, but the salaries generally reflect that fact.

Best of luck for the future

Having gone through the ups and downs of applying for a visa a year ago, we have all but given up hope until, out of the blue, this week we received a call from our agent to say that NSW had reviewed their skills shortage list and that they would like to invite us to apply for a state sponsored 190 visa. A little shocked now to say the least. I am a qualified and experienced graphic designer and we are claiming 70 points.

12 months ago we were looking at a 489 family sponsored visa for WA, but with being unable to secure a full time job offer we had given up hope. Our agent never gave up trying, but on numerous occasions we thought to ourselves that we better call it a day and tell the agent to stop.

Now NSW wouldn't have been our first choice, but to get us a foot in the door we will jump at the chance. We know nothing about NSW, Sydney, suburbs, employment, schooling etc. Time to start researching.

Depending on what kind of job you do, you might not need to live close the city. Many do though.

The trains are ok if you live near one it's ok for work commuting. it all depends what you want, and what you like. Sydney is pretty ace, but it's not cheap property wise, so buying is a bit like buying in London pricewise.

Suburbs vary quite a lot. Also - and this isn't official advice, but many people don't stay in the state they were sponsored for, or even go there at all. Apparently it's not particularly enforceable... I know someone from my hometown who did it and moved to Queensland. So, worth bearing in mind :)

Thanks Captain Roberto for your advice. We are a family with young children so we would prefer a nice suburb and we would look to rent for the first 2 years and rent our uk home out too. We have family in Perth and it did cross my mind about just going straight there and whether anything would go against us when we eventually applied for citizenship. I suppose it's worth a thought.

Congratulation Shargreaves!!

We received State sponsorship from NSW on Friday it only took 10 working days to get our 5 points. We now have 60 points..

NSW was not our original choice either as we originally wanted to Emigrate to Melbourne however we believe that what is meant to be will be.

We have 2 young children ages 10 & 8 and I have started looking into towns outside of Sidney as we are not city birds at all.

I am a Social worker and my Hubby is a Refigeration & Air con engineer and I am hoping that finding jobs outside of Sidney will not be a problem.

I will be interested in suggestions other members provide on suburbs, schooling etc..

All the best

Hi Neil. We have been using the services of Migrate Abroad, Parkway, London. We cannot fault the service that they have provided, they have always been there, answered all of our questions, however trivial they have been. We dealt with a really nice lady named Kay. Wishing all the best.

You could just use it as a PR visa without going to the sponsoring state......but on the other hand there's likely to be a lot more work in Sydney than WA, especially at the moment

I would get your visa and then come over and have a look. If you don't fancy it then head out west

It's a nice city over this side though. One of the best I've lived in, and there've been a few. Housing costs are the biggest issue but everything else is all good

No worries @shargreaves - obviously you'd need to look into it all properly. The people I know only got an invite for NSW and moved to Bris. Not sure if it might affect them but I know they plan on staying indefinitely.

The coasts north and south of sydney are very nice. If you can get work. Much cheaper.

Or there are towns up and down the coast. Or Sydney itself. We made the mistake of paying too much rent in our first place - so in hindsight we'd liked to have got a cheaper place or a cheaper area. I think over 50% of our income goes on rent. Doable but far from ideal.

I think in simple terms you pay more to be closer to the city or closer to a train line or a beach. So if you don't need to be in the cbd every day then there's not a great need to live there.

If we were younger and had no kids there would be loads of areas in the city that would be great (inner west, eastern suburbs, lower north shore or manly area).

It's all very subjective!

If you want pretty good schools and not too far from a beach, Sutherland shire is good. (Cronulla etc) in the south or somewhere like Frenchs forest in the northern beaches. These tick a lot of boxes for family life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulation Shargreaves!!

We received State sponsorship from NSW on Friday it only took 10 working days to get our 5 points. We now have 60 points..

NSW was not our original choice either as we originally wanted to Emigrate to Melbourne however we believe that what is meant to be will be.

We have 2 young children ages 10 & 8 and I have started looking into towns outside of Sidney as we are not city birds at all.

I am a Social worker and my Hubby is a Refigeration & Air con engineer and I am hoping that finding jobs outside of Sidney will not be a problem.

I will be interested in suggestions other members provide on suburbs, schooling etc..

All the best ?

I don't know how it goes with social work (some public service jobs, like teaching, are v.hard to get jobs in unless you want to go bush) but with those trades/professions you ought to be well set - need for those everywhere and no need to be tied to the city

Have a look at the smaller cities and towns in NSW

http://www.postcodes-australia.com/cities/nsw

Newcastle, Central Coast or Wollongong are all decent places to start looking. Cheaper than Sydney (Newcastle and Wollongong away from the coastal village on the Sydney side - Thirroul etc - are much cheaper). Coast in all 3 areas is fabulous

You will need to check what your husband might have to do in terms of trades licensing to work as an aircon engineer. Don't make the mistake that the skills assessment or UK qualifications mean you can work as a skilled tradesman in NSW. And I would check out what gives in terms of social work and where jobs can be found

Thanks Northshorepom ..... the areas you suggest have come up during my search and I must say I am not fussy at all.. So long as I don't live in a busy city I am cool.

I am hoping to eventually work for the local authority as I do so now in England however I don't mind work through agencies or private sector to start off with. I made contact with an employment agency a while back and I was informed that it's a straight forward transition for social work. it's just a case of being offered the right job when needed.

Hubby on the other handworks with a company with several branches in Oz and is hoping to be transferred when we are ready. He has been informed that he will need to get a licence which will take approx 12 weeks to get in Oz. If he is offered a transfer then trade licence will be sorted while he earns an income if not then I hope to be working while he is training.

due to having kids of school age i will be drawn to areas with good schools and even consider independent schools.

Archived