payment of visa sponsorships - update to law

Melbelle

Hi

I was just wondering what people know about the recent changes regarding 'payment of visa sponsorships'?

Background: I am currently on 457 visa and beginning discussions with work for PR - 186 transition stream (eligible to apply middle of March). Early stages are indicating they are happy to pay for nomination but not the visa fee.

I stumbled across this new information on 'payment of visa sponsorships and was wondering if this mean that employers have to pay for both the nomination and visa fee? Any insight would be appreciated?

"On 14 December 2015 new criminal and civil penalties and visa cancellation provisions were introduced as part of a framework that allows for sanctions to be imposed on a person who asks for, receives, offers or provides a benefit in return for a visa sponsorship or employment that requires visa sponsorship (otherwise known as a 'sponsorship-related event')."

"....it is not acceptable for a foreign worker to become an Australian permanent resident or be granted a work visa for Australia by paying an employer for their visa,"

More information on immi website - https://www.border.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/what-is-payment-for-visas.aspx

http://www.minister.border.gov.au/peterdutton/2015/Pages/Paying-for-visa-sponsorship-outlawed.aspx

Thanks in advance

Mel

No. That means you giving them a bung so to speak, over and above the standard fees.

Most people pay their own visa fees but no the employers. Our employer paid for their fees and the agent fees but we paid for the visa application for 4 of us plus medicals etc.

Some employers may pay as part of a relocation package but that is rare these days.