Advice re emigrating

Leisha85

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to this forum and finding it a great source of information.

I am looking for some help/advice anyone can offer please. My husband and I are seriously considering a move to Aus in the next few years. I am currently in my 2nd year of an adult nursing degree so I would be going over with this profession.

Regarding visas - My husband does not have any skills listed on the SOL but would be gaining a HGV license with the view of taking up this work in Aus. Our Son will be around 11 years old when we make the move. Going off the info i've provided, what visa would be best for us to apply for? Also what is the cost of visas?

We would be looking to rent a property probably for a couple of years before we buy. My understanding is that we wont be able to rent a house until we are over there? Would we have to stay in a hotel until we found a rental? How long on average does it take to find a rental?

Any advice would be much appreciated. This is something we are seriously considering and I want to gather as much info as possible as soon as possible.

Thank you

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to this forum and finding it a great source of information.

I am looking for some help/advice anyone can offer please. My husband and I are seriously considering a move to Aus in the next few years. I am currently in my 2nd year of an adult nursing degree so I would be going over with this profession.

Regarding visas - My husband does not have any skills listed on the SOL but would be gaining a HGV license with the view of taking up this work in Aus. Our Son will be around 11 years old when we make the move. Going off the info i've provided, what visa would be best for us to apply for? Also what is the cost of visas?

We would be looking to rent a property probably for a couple of years before we buy. My understanding is that we wont be able to rent a house until we are over there? Would we have to stay in a hotel until we found a rental? How long on average does it take to find a rental?

Any advice would be much appreciated. This is something we are seriously considering and I want to gather as much info as possible as soon as possible.

Thank you

I only have the experience of moving to sydney in 2011

skilled visa 189 or 190 I guess would work. You'd need work experience though not just a degree. Do a points test pretending you have finished and see how you get on. Notice as your age increases points drop and, if you are working in your profession points increase. I think age 31 is probably the points peak, young persons age points but decent experience if you graduate at 21

if you are 30 as "85" suggests you will probably peak point wise at 38 so plenty of time

remember rules can change so plans like this are risky

rentals in Sydney are competitive and hard, we had my wife's credit history to our benefit as she's Aussie. Other cities are easier I imagine

Thank you for your replies. I never thought of that, my husband doing his HGV license in Aus. We both have a UK license so at least we can have them transferred and get a car.

I wasn't sure if you have to apply separately but I guess I'll be the main applicant.

I was planning on working for a year before we applied so that I have some experience under my belt. At the time of applying I will be around 34 and my husband will be around 37 so should be ok points wise there if nothing changes.

With rentals how does it work for expats as we would have no credit history?

I am a newly qualified nurse (Sept 15) and am going down the 189 route, as I obviously cannot claim points for experience. I'm 28 and will have 65 points, which I believe will get me an invitation pretty quickly, when it gets to that stage.

You need to have at least 3 months work experience before you can do the skills assessment (ANMAC) but if you start gathering all of your documents round about the time you qualify, that will take up your time waiting for the 3 months to pass, as well as getting your university to do all of their bit. I'm hoping I will have the visa in my hand by the time my 1 year is up in September :)

I wouldn't even bother thinking about rentals right now - which you can't do anything about until here anyway as you have to view in person to even put in an application. Qualify, get registration sorted, visa sorted, some work experience - all things that fall much much much higher up the pecking order. Rental comes into the equation maybe 3 months before you actually move... or less even... concentrate on the big things that really matter (and that require significantly more research etc.) instead of sweating on the minor things that will happen as a matter of course when they need to...

Archived