A 10 day holiday in Cairns - Too Long???

adele244

Hi @The pom queen, I know you have a real soft spot for Cairns, and I wonder if I could pick your brains for a moment please, or anyone else for that matter please.

We have just received our PR visa and are heading out in August for a reccie with our 6 and 11 year old. Our focus will be around Brisbane for jobs and areas, but as it will be winter and would like a holiday for the children in the sun. A trip up to Northern QLD would be perfect.

We will be up for around 10 days and in your opinion....... Would this be too long to stay in Cairns alone or is there lots to do.

It was a consideration to travel down to Townsville, stay a few days there, then down to Whitsunday and fly back to Brisbane from Proserpine Airport.

I am just not sure if that will be too much travelling for the kids (and humping cases around) for the, and that fitting all that in 10 days is just too much. Maybe we should just chillax in Cairns.

Any advice would be greatly received as I understand you know Cairns and maybe could point out attractions for the kids...I did see a zoo!

So yes if you feel that there would be enough to see and do in Cairns, I think we would stay there. (I didn't realise Townsville (or Brownsville as you call it ha ha!) was 5 hours away!!! It looks so close!

Thank you x x x Adele x x x

I can recommend "Coconuts" Holiday Park in Cairns for families. http://www.coconut.com.au/ There is plenty to keep the kids amused. I would spend a few days in beautiful Port Douglas which is an hours lovely scenic drive north of Cairns. We were in Cairns/Port Douglas last August and the weather was just perfect. Have fun.

Thanks for that info, seems like there is plenty to do, just check out the website link ...looks awesome! Thanks x

I can recommend "Coconuts" Holiday Park in Cairns for families. http://www.coconut.com.au/ There is plenty to keep the kids amused. I would spend a few days in beautiful Port Douglas which is an hours lovely scenic drive north of Cairns. We were in Cairns/Port Douglas last August and the weather was just perfect. Have fun.

We stayed there for a few days last September. Recommend it though bear in mind that it is a few minutes drive from the sea and any restaurants. Personally think 10 days there might be a bit long. We loved Atherton too for a complete change of scenery though it is higher so considersbly cooler than Cakrns at that time of year.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Adele

wow how exciting, not long now. I could talk about Cairns all day. I would give Townsville a miss unless you are driving down to Airlie (which I do like)

In Cairns things i would recommend are:

1) Fitzroy Island

2) A day trip to the reef

3) Skyrail up to Kuranda and the train back down (hold a koala, feed Roos)

4) Day trip to Port Douglas

5) A beach day, Ellis Beach, Palm Cove, Cairns Lagoon

6) Cape Tribulation

7) Curtain Fig Tree, Cathedral Figtree, Lake Barrine, Milla Milla Falls

8) Hartleys Crocodile Farm

9) Paronella Park

If you fancy a 4 hour drive and a stay overnight Cooktown is lovely, nothing there but it's where Captain Cook came ashore. We love it there.

Also if you do no 7) I would recommend staying at Canopy Tree House

http://www.canopytreehouses.com.au/mobile/ on the balcony of a night all the possums come down for feeding, they also have the parrots that come on the balcony for food, there is also a wild cassowary that lives there as well as wallabies. From here you could then maybe do Paronella Park.

If you want more details on any of the above or other ideas just shout.

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes coconuts is excellent, even the locals go and spend a night there now and again. The only downside is that it's in a residential area and around 15 minutes from the esplanade, they do have a shuttle bus though. You will probably find the children don't want to go anywhere. They have gocarts, numerous pools, a small water park, movies in the park, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived