May be a silly question.....I'll ask anyway!

racht

I submitted our 175 visa application last week online. When it said about the cost, it was tiered. Said it costs $2000 (or thereabouts) now and possibly another $2800 prior to approval of visa. Then it mentioned something about non-English speaking spouses.

My question is, does this extra $2800 only apply for people who come from non-English speaking countries? Or should I (as the spouse) do an IELTS test?

Thanks for your time folks

Rachael:notworthy:

Guest deebbzz

hi

i think if you have a british passport you dont have to do test. but if you cant speak english then you might have to.

email ASPC and ask them as they should help you.

Guest Birdiesinoz

The 2nd visa fee is only for those people who do not hold an eligible passport from either, United Kingdom (UK), Canada, New Zealand, USA or Republic of Ireland.

If they are not then they need to either sit the IELT's and gain 4.5 on all 4 sections, have completed 12 months study in Oz where the study is conducted in English, have a degree, diploma or trade certificate that was conducted in English, or they have evidence that they have completed one of the following at an educational institution where all instruction was conducted in English, primary and at least 3 years of secondary or 5 years of secondary education.

So if your OH is from the UK with a UK passport you have no further Department fees.

:smile:

Guest ebdale_sns@hotmail.com

Costs you've put down are in AUD - presume you're in UK.

Email Australian High Commission in London and they'll confirm fees in GBP. It's always worth emailing AHC as they can put your mind to rest over the most basic of issues!

IELTS - depends how good your skills are!

If your skills are on the MODL list and CONFIRMED (ie you've handed in your assessment to TRA or VETASSESS), then you might not need to bother. But if you need max points, it's worth doing the IELTS, as it could mean the difference between 25 points and 15 points, which in some cases can be massive!!!!!

Thanks for that. My husband's job is on MODL and fortunate for us he didnt need the points from IELTS. I just wondered if I should do it to proove English speaking but it seems since I am English born and bred with British Passport, I dont need to either. Thanks for your help everyone.

Archived