EOI stuck... Skills assesment problems.

Rhys

Hi all.

I'm currently filling out an EOI as we are thinking about going to Australia. I am a self employed plasterer with 16 year experience and have come across a stumbling block, namely the skills assessment. Where do you get a skills assessment and how much does it cost? I already have an NVQ level 3 in EWI, but I doubt it'll be any good. I also have an Hons Degree in Photography but again, that won't be any good.

I'm wanting to apply for a 189 visa (independent skilled.)

Thanks. Rhys

There is a list on the Gov't website about assessing bodies. I don't know which you'd need off the top of my head but VETASSES (not sure how to spell it as I had to use AITSL) would most likely be the one you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're applying for a 189 visa, your occupation must be on the SOL: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

Find your occupation on the list, and you'll see the name of the skills assessor - you can then visit their website to see what's involved to get a skills assessment. Do not complete your EOI until you have your skills assessment in hand, along with any other supporting backup for the points you are claiming. Your documents must be valid at the time you are invited.

My head's spinning. I've found my occupation in the SOL, which is 'Solid Plasterer 333212 and gives the hyperlink to TRA. Fine so far. Get the TRA site and my occupation isn't listed... So, I go to the bottom of the list where it says about occupations not listed but appear in the SOL, that's where things fall apart as Plasterer is no longer listed (457 skill assessment Program application guidelines) or the TRA website.

I get the feeling I should give up.

My partner has a daughter living in Australia (1 of 3 children, the other two are here in the UK) and thinks it would be a good idea to move over there via a visa on my profession.

One of the main problems I feel, is that I've learnt my trade over the last 16 years with no formal qualifications in it - it's something that you just 'do'. If it were a photography related profession, that would be easy as I've got an Hons Degree in photography. We were also thinking of opening an artisan coffee shop where we are (this profession isn't doing my joints/health any good tbh) as I'm a self taught/skilled barista and could easily fly through a course doing that.

Getting disheartened by it all, but finding out as much as I can still. I have filled in the EOI last night as it says it keeps it on record for 2 years and can be updated as and when more info comes to hand.

Thanks for the replies so far.

The skills assessment link you've included above is specific to the 457 visa, so don't worry that you don't find your occupation on that list as that's for another visa category altogether. I don't know enough about the skills assessment process or TRA to be able to give much assistance, but hopefully someone else can. In the meantime, I think this guide may be useful reading: http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Migration/Documents/33.%20TRA%20MSA%20Applicant%20Guidelines%20V9.0.pdf

The skills assessment link you've included above is specific to the 457 visa, so don't worry that you don't find your occupation on that list as that's for another visa category altogether. I don't know enough about the skills assessment process or TRA to be able to give much assistance, but hopefully someone else can. In the meantime, I think this guide may be useful reading: http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Migration/Documents/33.%20TRA%20MSA%20Applicant%20Guidelines%20V9.0.pdf

Thanks. It's a bit of a rigmarole isn't it, expensive too.

Hi Rhys

myself my partner are gong through exactly the same thing at present. (189) My partner is a self employed plaster of 10 years. It's the TRA (trades recognition Australia) that assesses your skills. This needs to be done before submitting you EOI. If you don't have a trade qualification in plastering, usually a NVQ level 2, you will probably need to go down the route of RPL ( recognition of Prior Learning). There are RTO's (registered training organisations) that offer this and which will enable you to come out with an AQF which is the Australian recognised standard. After achieving this they would deduct 3 years off your previous experience as they say this would be the length of time it would NORMALLY take to complete the AQF but that still leaves you with a good number of years experience which will count towards your points score. You can contact the TRA by telephone. The enquiry line is open from 10 am (Canberra time) and they are 11 hours in front so you need to ring 11pm UK time. We spoke to them yesterday and they were extremely helpful!

Hi Rhys

myself my partner are gong through exactly the same thing at present. (189) My partner is a self employed plaster of 10 years. It's the TRA (trades recognition Australia) that assesses your skills. This needs to be done before submitting you EOI. If you don't have a trade qualification in plastering, usually a NVQ level 2, you will probably need to go down the route of RPL ( recognition of Prior Learning). There are RTO's (registered training organisations) that offer this and which will enable you to come out with an AQF which is the Australian recognised standard. After achieving this they would deduct 3 years off your previous experience as they say this would be the length of time it would NORMALLY take to complete the AQF but that still leaves you with a good number of years experience which will count towards your points score. You can contact the TRA by telephone. The enquiry line is open from 10 am (Canberra time) and they are 11 hours in front so you need to ring 11pm UK time. We spoke to them yesterday and they were extremely helpful!

Thanks Monks, I don't feel as alone now lol.

I have got an NVQ level 3 in EWI (External Wall Insulation), which was completed by a company called Geason in order to get a CSCS card. Though this really doesn't cover my everyday skills, and all I had to do was prove I could render and set beads. I guess that could go towards my qualifications.

Let me know how you get on, and good luck :)

Update...

My partner has been busy and contacted an agent to see what's what..

She sent them my qualifications and gave them some background info etc. She received a phone call from them (followed by an email with what they discussed). She said they have worked out I (we) have 65 points and gave a breakdown of costs to compete a 189 visa.

Sounds very promising.

Only problem is my trade is flagged for review in June/July so will probably be taken off the list, but if we start now and apply before this happens then it'll be honoured. Best get cracking then :)

Archived