First rental in aus??

Skyba

Hi, we are going to be moving to Gold Coast on October, from looking at places over the last few months the market seems to be fairy active around where we are going to live.

Just wondering what people experiences are with renting when they first arrive. What types of things do the estate agents need from you??

I have seen a lot of people offer a large chunk of rental payments up front, is this usual or is it more common for them to just request proof of funds. Any other information on things that people found out when they arrived that would be helpful would be greatly appreciated.

i had a really good experience, managed to view and get a rental within 2 days of landing :)

Some of the bigger agents will ask for 100 points of ID to be submitted with a rental application (look this up on Google) but i didn't have to do this luckily. If i remember correctly i had to give a bond equivalent to 4 weeks rent plus two weeks rent up front...

Happy hunting!

Its good to have all paperwork ready to submit to the agent as soon as you see a rental you like. Its a points system but from experience we found, the more you can submitt the better.

Things to include would be

- Copy of job offer, OR a copy of a recent healthy bank account

- Copy of driving licence , Aussie one is best

- Copy of Medicare card

- Paid up utility or mortgage statements, doesnt matter if they're not Aussie.

- Any references you may have from renting in the UK

Also include a covering letter (especially if your new to the country) explaining you have just migrated hence lack of Australian paperwork. Some people do offer 3 or 6 months up front, especially if the property they like has a lot of interest but i found it rare this amount was ever taken by the agent.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

• 2 months later...

Hi Skyba. We'd recommend logging onto oneform. It's an online rental application website that many agents now use so you can start pulling together your submission before you even arrive and know exactly what you need. It also means that when you find a rental you love you can apply immediately. This improves your chances greatly as all your information is there ready to go for the agent. Many people choose to offer up front payments of rent but this isn't necessary in every case. It depends on how popular the property you are interested in is and how much information you can supply to the landlord about your reliability. Best of luck!

Archived