Query regarding passport validity

Guest alansgirlfriend

Guest alansgirlfriend

Hello. Me and my family are moving back to Scotland in June. Mine and my husbands UK passports are due to expire on 3/7/16. Does anyone know what validity you need to travel? I'm trying to keep costs down so hoping to just apply for my 4 year old daughters UK passport and travel back on ours and just renew them when we get back. If we did have to get them renewed then could we travel back on the UK ones and my 4 year old travel back on her Australian one? Or do we all have to travel back on the UK passports.

So confused , any help would be appreciated.

Thanks heaps.

If you are moving permanently then it makes life much easier if you enter on a UK passport otherwise the Aus passport will be stamped for 6 months only and accessing services etc, starting school could be a palaver.

Technically if you are flying straight through from Aus to UK and not stopping anywhere and leaving airside en route then you are good to go as there is no passport validity requirement for UK. Travel agents will tell you that 6 months validity is recommended - and it is required for some countries but not UK. Qantas won't enforce the 6 month rule wrt to UK but I don't know about any of the other airlines.

Pretty sure they will not let you check in without at least 6 months validity. It's no cheaper to renew from over here, and if you plan on any trips to the continent you will still need a valid passport. I sent mine from Oz to uk fir renewal ( no home office in Oz doing passports anymore) it took 3 weeks and cost was Jess than renewing my in passport

Guest alansgirlfriend

Thanks Ruthwin. We've just decided to renew them to be on the safe side.

Really? Are they that bad? My friend works for Etihad so is getting us cheaper flights. I was under the impression they were up there with Emirates!

Why will you never fly with them again?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Passports-Six_Month_Rule

If you are going to UK and not leaving airside then the airline shouldn't stop you. It's the country of destination or any stop overs that are the issue

This. We went back to the UK for Christmas and my youngest son's passport did not have more than 6 months validity on it. We didn't think it would be an issue until we tried to check in online and the system would not let us because his passport had less than 6 months validity on. Given that you can't check in online until 48 hours before the flight goes this put us in to a bit of a panic so my OH rang the Singapore airlines office who rang the check in staff at the airport who reassured us it would not be a problem. And it wasn't. Except it did mean we couldn't do the free tour from Singapore airport and could not check in online or at the computer things they have at check in at Heathrow. So you will be able to fly but you may have to check in at the desk and you will not be able to leave the connecting airport if that country has a 6 month validity rule.

Thanks Ruthwin. We've just decided to renew them to be on the safe side.

Really? Are they that bad? My friend works for Etihad so is getting us cheaper flights. I was under the impression they were up there with Emirates!

Why will you never fly with them again?

they were cheap, we got a really good deal. Less than $2k one way from Tokyo ( we used FF to fly Gold Coast to Tokyo) for 3 fault tickets and 1 child. That's the positive.

But the crew were really abrupt, plane was really old/tatty, my screen kept falling down and the kids ear sets didn't work at all ( the plugs in the seats didn't work) so my husband and I switched with them. Food was, just not nice, they literally ran out of everything, at one point for us there actually was no hot meal available so I was given a crew members meal. Towards the end the crew were so embarrassed at having to say no to people. Possibly why their service was so scant was because they couldn't face having to disappoint people.

i also ( my kids) left a bag with iPad cables and my hard drive in board, I rang the airport, airline and lost property within an hour of arriving home and it was never found. Left a really bad taste in my mouth. It was left on the seat by my kids. There was a crew member standing next to the isle and she was obviously too keen to get off that she didn't notice it.

I hope you you gave a better experience.

Archived