Duvets etc

Deb Moss

We are making a very quick (hopefully) move to Australia. I am unsure on items that are not allowed so thought I would start on this forum:-

Are you allowed to bring duck/feather down duvets and pillows? we have them for all beds and they were quite expensive but was unsure if this would be allowed? I am thinking of shipping these via a courier service rather than with the rest of our heavier stuff as I want them straight away.

Also, we want to bring our double bed frame but our mattress is quite old. Are beds/mattresses the same size in Oz? Dont want to bother bringing my bed if I cannot buy a suitable mattress. (some european sizes are different - ie IKEA)

Thank you

We are making a very quick (hopefully) move to Australia. I am unsure on items that are not allowed so thought I would start on this forum:-

Are you allowed to bring duck/feather down duvets and pillows? we have them for all beds and they were quite expensive but was unsure if this would be allowed? I am thinking of shipping these via a courier service rather than with the rest of our heavier stuff as I want them straight away.

Also, we want to bring our double bed frame but our mattress is quite old. Are beds/mattresses the same size in Oz? Dont want to bother bringing my bed if I cannot buy a suitable mattress. (some european sizes are different - ie IKEA)

Thank you

You may want to look around here for bed sizes

http://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/bedding

Not sure about down and feathers etc - you could try the govt websites.

Hi, we brought our bedframe with us, then bought a mattress and slept on floor till our goods arrived. When it did, the mattress was too big for the frame so we ended up buying a new frame after 6 weeks on the floor!! The sizes were different although this was back in 1997 but would be worth checking the link suggested.

Not sure about feathers but duvets are called doonas here in case you come across that term!

If you google UK Bed Sizes and AUS Bed Sizes all will be revealed, basically the UK Kingsize is Queen Size in AUS, and the Super Kingsize in UK is King Size in AUS, there isn't a 2ft6in Single, there smallest single is out 3ft..........it all makes sense when you look at the info. :-)

The following bed sizes are available in Australia

Single

92cm x 188cm

Long Single

92cm x 204cm

Three-quarter (obsolete, but still present)

120 cm × 188 cm

King Single

107cm x 204cm

Double

138cm x 188cm

Queen

153cm x 204cm

King

183cm x 204cm

California King

183cm x 213cm

Super King

204cm x 204cm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I brought all my bedding and beds over with no issues,but just upgraded our in mattress.

As long as timber products are stained/painted or sealed in some way all items where acceptable.

We just declared it on the forms.

We decided to organise pretty much all the move ourselves without the use of a removals company....we thought it might be a bit tricky with customs but they gave us a big compliment cos we made their life easy.

good luck

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk