Working Holiday with a friend

Ryan Greenwood

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and the idea of a working holiday so please bear with me!

So, my bestfriend and I have decided to take the leap together and do a working holiday in Australia. We have made this decision based on a huge number of factors and it seems this is the right time for both of us to be doing this. Now, I'm from the UK, and she is actually from Australia (she lives in NSW, so technically it's not a 'holiday' for her, but we want to stick together and travel around together etc).

What is the best way for us to get a job working at the same place? I know some of you may say it's unlikely, but you've got to try for it, right? More importantly, what is the best way to even get a job on a working holiday visa? Is it to simply print off a hundred resumes and go handing them out to businesses?

Our plan is, start off in Australia (not sure where exactly but it would be in NSW) and then after a few months, we'd head to Canada :) obviously, we want a job together, as well as accomodation together. I'm literally going to the other side of the world to be with her, not to work at different jobs haha so has anyone done a working holiday with a friend before? How did it go, any tips etc?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks :wink:

When you're on a working holiday visa, you can apply for any job you like, just the same as anyone else. The only restriction is that you can only work for a maximum of 6 months with that employer - then you'll have to leave and look for another job. Obviously that restriction won't apply to your gf.

What kind of work are you going for? Many WHV'ers work in cafes and bars because they don't want long term work - they just want to work a few weeks, go on a trip, work a few more weeks, etc. The best way to pick up that kind of work is just to hit the pavements.

However people do get roles in offices etc. The best resource for finding work in Australia is seek.com.au, but it's very unlikely anyone will look at you until you're on shore. Even then, employers may be a bit reluctant to hire you for anything but basic roles because they know there's no point in training you up, since you'll have to leave after only 6 months.

You could look at WWOOF where you get free accommodation in exchange for x amount of hours of work. I have sometimes seen advertised where they need 2 people so that could work maybe as a one option.

Another option is farm work where you pick say fruit or something often they employ several people so higher chances of being able to work at the same place. Otherwise causal jobs like bar/cafe jobs you may be lucky and both get employed at the same place, though generally it may be tricky to work together unless an employer needs several people.

Archived