Our move back - how it went

James in devon

Hi James ,

Great to read your post, we are going back this year after been 6 years in Perth , we were here for a year in 2008 and went back for 18 months in 2009 back to Perth and back this time for good. Like yourselves we are mid forties both working son in private school house and pool lol, but do not want to be here forever and now is the best time for us to go back as our son is 13 and will settle in school well at this age. I am hoping the house sells when we put it up and all goes as smooth as your move , so much to do and thinking if we should bring back furniture etc , your post very informative thanks .Hope you and your family are very happy with your decision to move .

Haven't really contributed here; despite starting to a few months ago. However, after receiving a Poms in Oz email to my inbox, I thought I would take another look:).

i am glad I did, James. Your experience resonated with what has happened to myself and my husband.

We emigrated, direct to Tassie in 96", with a three year old and a one year old. We loved it here; never considering returning; despite three seperate trips to the UK whilst the children were growing up.

In 2014 we went back again. We had already been toying with the idea of 'downsizing' within Tassie; but all that suddenly became unimportant on this trip. The catalyst was actuallly our children; in that they have always loved the UK visits and have (mostly in jest) always 'blamed' me for taking them away! Whenever we visit the UK, we spend a few days at Center Parcs; as all the grandparents have gone and it prevents our UK relatives from having to put us up (or argue if we stay with another relative instead!).

Whilst staying in our lovely, tranquil setting, we both realised that we needed to come '"home". We talked long and hard about what it would mean; but the bottom line was that we now couldn't envisage staying in Australia! Tassie had undergone yet another change of government and the logging v enviromental battle wasn't going away. The state had lost it's magic for us. We had missed the countryside, the british sense of humour (ABC and SBS are not too bad, but couldn't have survived without BBC iplayer and Youtube!!); even the cold, as I have never really coped with the summers - even Tassie ones!

We still wouldn't have made the decision if it wasn't for the fact that both our children are adamant that this is also what they want... So, we are doing up the house, looking at the job market (disappointing drop in salary by about half in my job, but thankfully my other half is self-employed and very able:), and waiting for our son and daughter to finish their degrees (two years tops, but we won't wait to the end, as they are keen for us to get somewhere as a base).

Funnily enough, we are planning on the west country (north Cornwall, Devon or mid to south Somerset areas), which is not cheap, so we are planning to stay with family, then rent, rather than jump in straight away. Let's hope we can sell our Tassie home in good time, as we are not keen to rent it out.

Thanks again for the "long post". I think mine is probably longer; without your helpful advice in it! I will try and make up for that when we finally get the ball rolling. We cannot wait, but can still enjoy our little Tassie haven of bush and suburbia in the meantime...

Best of luck to you and your family in lovely Devon:)

Thanks for sharing your experiences, James :) I've recently "had a moment" and have decided it's time for me to return "home" after 25 years living in Australia. It was great to read your post even though your circumstances are quite different to mine. I'm only in the very early stages of planning and tbh it will probably take me a while to get back but it's great to get feedback from members; the for's and the against, pro's and con's etc. Best wishes to you and your family and your new life in beautiful Devon :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences, James :) I've recently "had a moment" and have decided it's time for me to return "home" after 25 years living in Australia. It was great to read your post even though your circumstances are quite different to mine. I'm only in the very early stages of planning and tbh it will probably take me a while to get back but it's great to get feedback from members; the for's and the against, pro's and con's etc. Best wishes to you and your family and your new life in beautiful Devon :)

No idea what age you are but if you've been in Australia that long and are nearing retirement age, do check out the pension implications - leave it too long and you could miss out on both.

Edited by Marisawright

Thank you for your message Marisawright...appreciate it greatly. I discovered a post regarding Australian Pension implications before I became a member of PomsinOz and was more than a little surprised! I'm probably 12 to 17 years off retirement depending on the retirement age (65/70). It's all such an unknown isn't it?...I have a real longing to go back to England but, of course, who knows what will happen when I get there? Reading many of the posts already, for some "it works" for others it was a 'huge mistake". Anyway, I will put up my first post soon and share a little bit more about me and my situation. Thanks again for your advice! Regards...

James, thanks for sharing mate, great positive story.

In 4 years time we hope to retire back to the UK, we hope it goes as smoothly as your move. We own a cottage in Cornwall which we will retire back to, so that's one thing sorted.

James, thanks for sharing mate, great positive story.

In 4 years time we hope to retire back to the UK, we hope it goes as smoothly as your move. We own a cottage in Cornwall which we will retire back to, so that's one thing sorted.

@Thom - I may have mentioned this to you already, but be aware that if you leave Australia before you reach pension age, you won't be able to claim the Australian govt pension.

Thanks Marisa, I have a superfund as does my wife.

So do we, but we don't have confidence that our super balance is going to last for the rest of our lives, so we'd like to have a government pension as a backstop! If you've got a comfortable balance and have done the projections, good luck to you. If you ever paid NI contributions in the UK, you'll be able to use your Australian work record up to 2001 to gain extra credits and improve your British pension.

So do we, but we don't have confidence that our super balance is going to last for the rest of our lives, so we'd like to have a government pension as a backstop! If you've got a comfortable balance and have done the projections, good luck to you. If you ever paid NI contributions in the UK, you'll be able to use your Australian work record up to 2001 to gain extra credits and improve your British pension.

Thanks Marisa, valuable info.

I worked in the UK from 1975 to 2003, so qualify for a UK state pension. I will have 18 years super, paid into at the top rate before I leave. My wife has worked in the public service since she was 19, (40 yrs when we leave) and has a huge super pot.

We hope to be ok. :-)