Cars and where to live

ItchyFeet76

Whilst my oh is looking for 457 sponsorship, I'm trying to look into suburbs and places to live. We think initially we'll stay in a services apt in the cbd (so at least he doesn't have to worry about a commute as well as starting a new job!) and then look for a long-term rental, but our original choice (sanctuary lakes) is now out, due to the long commute to the cbd.

Ideally we'd like to be within a 20 min drive from the beach and a 30 min train ride from the cbd, so the south east side (whilst with beaches aplenty) may be too far as trams stop every minute and take ages... So we're thinking possibly Werribee or Hoppers Crossing, but all the properties we've seen have been 1.5km from the primary school and I think my

3 kids would struggle with that, particularly as the weather isn't great in winter.

So I'd be interested to know how people get to the station / school - do you all have 2 cars? Do you walk miles a day? Do you get up early and catch a bus?! The school bus only appears to be for people living more than 4.5km away (roughly, can't remember the exact distance).

Our budget is $500 pw for a min 3-bed (pref. 4-bed - more feasible in the west!)...

Also, as you can't enrol your kids in a school until you know where you're going to be living long-term, do you just accept that they can't go to school for

the first 6 weeks?!?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies ?

I can't answer about specific areas as I lived in Perth but to answer your question about school, whilst you are in holiday type accommodation you would not enrol your children in school - we booked a holiday rental for two months as it was over the Christmas period. It is one of the reasons we opted for a private school as we were able to enrol him to start at the beginning of the year (this was starting school for the first time so it felt important to be there day 1) and not have to worry about finding a rental quickly in a specific catchment area.

With 3 children even a 'cheap' private school (our sons was less $1000 a term and paid monthly) may be out of the question so otherwise our migration agent said that 3 months out of school was no problem by 5 months they may ask questions. Of course it is a problem for the children as they are less likely to make friends and for you if you need to work.

Thanks for your reply, Lady Rainicorn. I'm just a lunchtime supervisor at the moment (1.5h a day) and my wages are more coffee money than contributory, so I won't work unless I can find something similar (ie that fits around the school hours). Although it's not ideal, I just feel it's potentially more disruptive to put them in any old school near our temp accomm just to get them in, knowing full well we'll have to uproot them again when we find a rental! Plus I intend on making sure they do some form of schoolwork whilst off (albeit some kind of educational app on their tablets, no doubt!) and it's kind of my bribe to get them to come down under and leave their friends![emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at Mordialloc Edithvale etc.in south east suburbs. Not sure why you mention tram? most people wouldn't go to work on a tram unless you live inner city. Most would people travel by train which is really quick

Edited by dxboz

Thanks dxboz. I guess we were thinking more Brighton area - doesn't the tram run from there then...? [emoji848] We lived in Prahran for a few months back in 2004 whilst travelling and used to get the tram into the cbd and I just remember it being sooooo slow!

Brighton area is lovely if you have the budget! Yes you would catch the tram when living in Prahran but not from further out - you would get the train which is pretty quick. Don't think there are any beaches near Hoppers Crossing or Werribee?? As I said check out Mordialloc Edithvale etc., and suburbs around there - close to beaches and not that long on the train to cbd

Thanks for your reply, Lady Rainicorn. I'm just a lunchtime supervisor at the moment (1.5h a day) and my wages are more coffee money than contributory, so I won't work unless I can find something similar (ie that fits around the school hours). Although it's not ideal, I just feel it's potentially more disruptive to put them in any old school near our temp accomm just to get them in, knowing full well we'll have to uproot them again when we find a rental! Plus I intend on making sure they do some form of schoolwork whilst off (albeit some kind of educational app on their tablets, no doubt!) and it's kind of my bribe to get them to come down under and leave their friends![emoji12]

Yes I agree with you they don't need an additional change of school - most people don't stay in temp accommodation more than a month so it is really just a holiday and it'll take a couple of weeks to really get over jetlag.

Good luck in finding a suitable suburb sorry I can't help with that. I do think you will probably need two cars if it is anything like Perth which is very car orientated.

Jeez, I hope not - we've only budgeted for 1 car! And we hope we can get by at first and not buy one straight away (defo whilst in serviced apt in the cbd anyway).

If we find a suitable rental, are they usually ready to move into straightaway? Will 6 wks be long enough in temp accomm? (Worried we might find something in week 4 but not vacant for another 4 wks)

For most areas that will be affordable at $500 you will need two cars. If you look at the public transport site and follow the train lines, then look at realestate.com.au for property fairly close to the stations you will be fine. The west is very popular and lots of new houses. South East is also popular and lots of new housing in Cranbourne West, East, South and main Cranbourne. Frankston South also good transport from Frankston as express trains. Hour to the city. $500 would maybe get you a small apartment around Brighton. Brighton is a very top of the range suburb and very expensive, nothing under a million in housing. Also look at Ringwood and that area but further from the beach than you would like but nice area

If we find a suitable rental, are they usually ready to move into straightaway? Will 6 wks be long enough in temp accomm? (Worried we might find something in week 4 but not vacant for another 4 wks)

Hi - most people who stay with us in our temp accommodation stay for 4 weeks and they usually find a rental which can be moved into within that period.

BB