Iphone 5s usage in Australia on 02

Hi Guys

I am off to Australia in May and I am wondering if anyone has been able to use their iPhone 5s on 02 Network over there or if they have had to jailbreak it and buy a sim?

Many thanks :)

Claire

Hi Guys

I am off to Australia in May and I am wondering if anyone has been able to use their iPhone 5s on 02 Network over there or if they have had to jailbreak it and buy a sim?

Claire

Best to unlock, buy a $2 sim (servos sell them), we had one that gave us 3c a minute calls to the UK. O2 will work but it will be really expensive.

You don't have to jailbreak it to use O2 in Aus but you do have to be a bloody millionaire as call costs and data roaming are extortionate! Get it unlocked at one of the "men in the market" stalls before you leave (or ask O2 if they will unlock it) and buy a sim deal when you get to Aus if you are staying for any length of time or leave your uk sim in, turn off all data, rely on wifi and don't answer calls and buy an el cheapo Aus phone for the holiday (I've picked up a bottom of the range Samsung Galaxy with a very good deal from Vodafone (ugh) and am almost a Samsung convert now! Less than $100 for the month but I will probably get the phone unlocked when I get home. BTW I don't think that's jail breaking so much as unlocking which is much easier!

I called O2 today to get an unlock code so I could take mine with me. They emailed the unlock code within 5 minutes. I had finished my 2 year contract with them and am currently on a month to month so had effectively paid off the phone.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Brilliant thank you all! Think i'll get it unlocked and see what happens when I am there. I can hopefully get on a lot of WIFI to contact home to avoid texting :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys

Claire

Ive just moved to Oz with an iPhone 5 that was on an O2 network. If you contact O2, they will unlock it for free before you go. Then when I got here I got a great deal with Optus: unltd text, unltd mins, 10gb data and 300 international minutes. $40 per month on sim only!!

Archived