Transferring MBA

roverallover

You'll find that each university has its own syllabus, so some universities will award full recognition of units previously studied, some will only do partial, depending on whether what you've done is the same as what they teach.

As of 2016/17 there is a new Master's student loan available, however, the eligibility criteria will be the same as for the undergraduate; you need to be resident in the EU for 3 years prior to application. In all likelihood you will also be considered an international student for fees irrespective of your citizenship too - criteria to be considered a home student are that you have to be domiciled and ordinarily resident for 3 years prior to the start of your course.

Universities have the right to decide who is home / international on a discretionary basis but the Student Loan Company has rather rigid rules. Send some emails to the International Student department of your chosen university and they will help you out - it's what I used to do and we get many queries along this line.

Thank you for your response. I have been having a dig around and uncovered the 2016 criteria which makes no mention of a waiting period for returning Nationals:

[h=2]What are the student eligibility criteria for the postgraduate loans?[/h]The new postgraduate Masters loans are subject to eligibility criteria based on age, nationality and residency. These have been substantially updated with the Autumn 2015 announcement, removing a previous age limit of 30 and a restriction to English universities. You can read more about the specific criteria below, but the main requirements are as follows:

[*=left]You must be under 60 years of age when you begin your postgraduate course. This removes the previous age limit of 30 .
    [*=left]You must be studying at a university with degree awarding powers in the UK. This includes institutions in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as well as those in England.
    [*=left]You must be resident in England prior to the beginning of your course. Exceptions may apply to EU students (see below).

So, this is hopefully promising.

This was copied from the original posting that can be found at: http://www.findamasters.com/funding/guides/new-uk-postgraduate-loans-scheme.aspx

Thank you for your response. I have been having a dig around and uncovered the 2016 criteria which makes no mention of a waiting period for returning Nationals:

What are the student eligibility criteria for the postgraduate loans?

The new postgraduate Masters loans are subject to eligibility criteria based on age, nationality and residency. These have been substantially updated with the Autumn 2015 announcement, removing a previous age limit of 30 and a restriction to English universities. You can read more about the specific criteria below, but the main requirements are as follows:

[*=left]You must be under 60 years of age when you begin your postgraduate course. This removes the previous age limit of 30 .

[*=left]You must be studying at a university with degree awarding powers in the UK. This includes institutions in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as well as those in England.

[*=left]You must be resident in England prior to the beginning of your course. Exceptions may apply to EU students (see below).

So, this is hopefully promising.

This was copied from the original posting that can be found at: http://www.findamasters.com/funding/guides/new-uk-postgraduate-loans-scheme.aspx

Further down the same page there is information about the residency requirements - here's the relevant part:

In order to be eligible you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least three years on the first day of the academic year in which your course begins. In addition, you must have most recently been resident in England.

[h=3]What counts as being resident in England?[/h]This may seem a silly question, but it's potentially one of the more confusing aspects of the loans eligibility. Put simply, if you normally live in England and fulfil all other eligibility criteria, you will be able to receive a postgraduate Masters loan.

Potential complications arise for students moving to England from other parts of the UK. Based on the government's current plans, the following should apply:

[*=left]If you have lived in another part of the UK within the last few years, but are now ordinarily resident in England, you maybe eligible for a loan. You will need to be able to prove that you are now 'ordinarily resident' in England. This means that you have not moved there temporarily or done so purely to study.

[*=left]If you have moved to England solely for the purposes of studying a Masters, you won't be eligible for a loan.

These criteria may be clarified further once applications for the loans open.

The documentation really isn't clear and I'm glad I don't have to assess this one!

There's a further bit that says that for UK people not normally resident in England (wales, Scotland, NI), you have to meet the three year residency in England thing, relates to what you've posted there Marlou.

It goes on to mention international students not ordinarily being eligible, now, in all likelihood the university would assess you as International so whether that would relate to the loan I couldn't say.

You'd be best off asking the assessing authority directly explaining your circumstances: the way I'm reading the criteria it could go either way and they don't have an appropriate example to go off.

The documentation really isn't clear and I'm glad I don't have to assess this one!

There's a further bit that says that for UK people not normally resident in England (wales, Scotland, NI), you have to meet the three year residency in England thing, relates to what you've posted there Marlou.

It goes on to mention international students not ordinarily being eligible, now, in all likelihood the university would assess you as International so whether that would relate to the loan I couldn't say.

You'd be best off asking the assessing authority directly explaining your circumstances: the way I'm reading the criteria it could go either way and they don't have an appropriate example to go off.

assume the confusion on 3 years, is its being used to exclude students going on to a masters after completing bachelors?

Your answers are best sourced from relevant faculty.

assume the confusion on 3 years, is its being used to exclude students going on to a masters after completing bachelors?

Your answers are best sourced from relevant faculty.

Our criteria was resident for the previous three years for reason OTHER than higher education, so an international student would still be international even after completing a degree unless they had been granted residency for another reason like marriage.

but yes, it's a confusing one, and I suspect a few facilities will be confused for at least the first year. It's worth asking around a few facilities as they do have the right to decide individually, but as i said, I don't know if that is going to make a difference with the loan people as it certainly didn't with the Student Loan Company for undergrads.

Archived