Australian passport advice

WelshBen

Hi all - we have recently had a new baby and are considering a last minute trip back to the UK for Xmas. Can anyone advise if it would be possible to secure a passport for the baby (an Australian citizen) within a couple of weeks?

We we have not posted the birth certificate forms yet, so assuming we've left it too late. However. Now have a long mandatory Xmas break that I wasn't expecting so wondering if a UK trip would be possible.

Has anyone ever done anything similar? Thanks!!

Your main issue will be with the birth certificate. If you can get that back in time then getting the passport quickly won't be an issue. I think you might be too late for the birth cert but I could be wrong.

Call BDM Victoria to see whether they can register this in a hurry - perhaps if you present in person. They are based on Collins Street and you will need to check the ID you'll need - please get this right - and be prepared for a long wait.

Thanks both.

I have discovered that the birthday certificate is going to be the issue. I have emailed and called (on hold for up to an hour stints since 9am this morning) and unable to get a response. I will try calling into the office in person first thing in the morning with all of the required information, however I think I'm resigned to being just too short notice - I'll keep on trying though!

I will try calling into the office in person first thing in the morning with all of the required information, however I think I'm resigned to being just too short notice - I'll keep on trying though!

Go with every conceivable form of ID you can think of. Registering a birth is really just a case of entering the data on a computer so if you go in with a good enough reason, are friendly and cheerful, and acknowledge that you are asking for a massive favour, you might get lucky. Once the registration is on the system, a certificate can be printed off in about 30 seconds. But even if you go early, be prepared for a long wait.

Archived