Quarantine Costs - 1st December 2015

Major Tom

Hi all,

Just checking last minute quotes etc, and have noticed the costs have changed for quarantine.

Can someone advise if the PEQ Levy of $1200 is per animal?

Cheers MT

Partner visa (subclass 309/subclass 100 lodged 02/04/2015, CO (VF) allocated 06/05/2015. Police ACRO Check completed 24/09/2015, Medical Check completed 01/10/2015, currently completing a C100 removal from jurisdiction for my Stepson, looking to locate to Melbourne Berwick area with my family of five in early 2016.

Yes, these are new costs from 1st December, but the Levy doesn't say 'per animal' as the rest of the costs do, which opens it up to interpretation, i thought it was a one off cost.

Partner visa (subclass 309/subclass 100 lodged 02/04/2015, CO (VF) allocated 06/05/2015. Police ACRO Check completed 24/09/2015, Medical Check completed 01/10/2015, currently completing a C100 removal from jurisdiction for my Stepson, looking to locate to Melbourne Berwick area with my family of five in early 2016.

Yes, two miniature Dachshunds, we are going with Golden Arrow I think, who are you going with?

Golden Arrow too =), we took our two mini dachshunds to see them end of Nov, its a beautiful spot they've got, Yogi sold himself well by immediately toileting on the office carpet - so embarrassing! He'd NEVER do such a thing at home but take him somewhere new..... I do worry about them being cold for the time they're in kennels at Golden Arrow, they are exposed to the elements somewhat but they do have a heater under the beds and they will have each other to cuddle, its not in front of the fire or on the sofa though is it!?

Had it confirmed today from Australian Department of Agriculture the follow for costs for quarantine costs valid from the 1st December 2015:-

Good morning David,

Yes the $1200 import levy is per animal, and this is in addition to the daily rate of $29 per animal per night in quarantine, and fees and services charges of x4 $30.

The total equates to approximately $1700 per animal for the quarantine fees. There is also the import permit application fees in addition to this.

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs/step-by-step-guides'>http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs/step-by-step-guides

Regards,

Nicola Denys

Post Entry Quarantine | Booking & Invoicing

P : 1800 900 090

South East Region

Department of Agriculture and water resources

135 Donnybrook Road, Mickleham VIC 3064

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs

Edited by Major Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Golden Arrow too =), we took our two mini dachshunds to see them end of Nov, its a beautiful spot they've got, Yogi sold himself well by immediately toileting on the office carpet - so embarrassing! He'd NEVER do such a thing at home but take him somewhere new..... I do worry about them being cold for the time they're in kennels at Golden Arrow, they are exposed to the elements somewhat but they do have a heater under the beds and they will have each other to cuddle, its not in front of the fire or on the sofa though is it!?

Thought you'd like to know that we've used Golden Arrow to look after our dog Alfie and fly him out to us in Australia. I've just had the confirmation from Mickleham to say he arrived safely and ' has travelled well'! We are just so relieved as Alfie is quite a handful ( a large Labradoodle just over a year old) and hates crates. He attacked his crate at the vets when he was castrated and they had to let him out they were so worried about him. Golden Arrow knowing that the crating could be a problem used the weeks before hand to slowly get him used to it, encouraging him with treats etc... They managed all his final bloods, parasite treatments etc... I've had emails from them and photos over the 6 weeks telling me how he is getting on. They evidently care a lot about these temporary friends and tracked his flight out too. It's been a great relief dealing with them (Fissa, Steve and Chris) and I hope you have a great experience too. Just have to wait now and see what state he is in after 10 days in quarantine... counting the hours!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there I'm very new to this and looking for some advise

i have two dogs that I need to relocate from uk to Perth I am finding it difficult to get a complete figure so far I have been told £5500 to get them from heathrow to Melbourne then on top I have 2x 1700 quarentine fees then the additional cost of getting them from Melbourne to Perth

Does anyone know a less stressful way of sorting this out with a simple one off all inclusive cost so I know if my dogs can come or if I have to break the kids hearts

Hi Lisa. Google Golden Arrow shippers and give them a call. They are a small company and I've found you get a really personal service, they will write to you with all the costs laid out clear as day. The reason quarantine costs are listed seperately is because you have to pay those direct,not via the shippers. Our two dogs are very small and we are looking at paying £4K max all in if I remember rightly,that's including rabies etc, if you've got big dogs the cost will be more. Good luck!

Hi there I'm very new to this and looking for some advise

i have two dogs that I need to relocate from uk to Perth I am finding it difficult to get a complete figure so far I have been told £5500 to get them from heathrow to Melbourne then on top I have 2x 1700 quarantine fees then the additional cost of getting them from Melbourne to Perth

Does anyone know a less stressful way of sorting this out with a simple one off all inclusive cost so I know if my dogs can come or if I have to break the kids hearts

Hi Lisa,

Different companies include different services, some provide complete services as in look after everything, some not and the different quotes will reflect these differing services. In other words it depends on what you require them to do as to the total cost. If you want a simple figure then I'd recommend checking with the companies that do all inclusive packages. In my case I was happy to organise my dogs vets visits tests etc, do the import and export permits, booking Australian quarantine booking, and organising their transport from quarantine to their new home myself. I have 3 large Husky dogs going out from the north west of the UK to Australia in May 2016.

For me my transportation is costing £5330 for all 3 Huskies ...this includes getting the dogs from my Uk home to manchester airport, their IATA travel containers, plus all costs associated with their flights and leaving UK ie export costs etc ....also any needed co-ordination with quarantine and Uk exports at Carlisle prior to departure etc. I have been very happy with the level of help, support, and advice I've received from my transport company ... which is Animal Airlines...they have been just fantastic all the way along and I'm confident it will all go well.....yes my gut instinct but somehow I just know this and yes it makes a difference when you can feel confident with your choices lol

Thing I'd suggest you need to factor in to total cost .... hope these will help you in figuring it out a bit

-include the cost of all vets visits prior to departure and the cost of all tests vaccinations etc. This will also be affected by the size of your dogs and if you have them up to date at the start of the process...as you can imagine for me with 3 big dogs this is at the higher end of the scales...however I have done a lot of research prior and indeed printed it all off, sat down with my vets (there are several Govt approved OV's at the surgery so able to do all the work and to certify the dogs documentation), worked out timetables for the dogs and requirements for each, and so it's going very smoothly. I feel like I'm on the downhill run now and although yes it has been stressful the relief I feel and now excitement knowing they are set to go is great. feel a real sense of achievement :)

To give you an idea of costs I have had :

Rnatt tests and certificates around £100 per dog

Vaccination boosters around £30 per dog....if your dogs vaccinations are up to date this will save some costs for blood tests for Leptospirosis ....their vaccination records will show you this and can be used to show they are current. My dogs are up to date, one went down yesterday for her booster and one will receive his booster in March prior to leaving. My other dog does not need this at all as she's not due for a booster until July.

Worming and tick treatments around £30 per dog ..they will require 2 lots of these in the time coming up to departure.

I'm also getting them treatment for kennel cough which will be up to date when they leave ..obviously due to them going into quarantine and being near other animals

and as a preventative they are being given heartworm treatment...this is recommended by local vets in the area I'm moving to for dogs going to that particular area of Australia due to it being near a lake and mosquitoes. Again budget around £30 per treatment per dog.

Cost of Australian import permits were around £500 - £600 for all 3 dogs

Cost of quarantine stay ...see link for a guide as to current rates for dogs and cats ...in may case it is x 3 dogs

Cost of domestic trasportation in Australia $465 AUD from their release in quarantine to NSW via road...I do not need them to be flown as where I'm going to be living in just across the border into NSW ...a couple of hours drive north from Mickleham quarantine. I felt it best to get them transported directly from quarantine to their new home ...as I know they will be over excited if they see me and that wouldn't be best given they have a road trip ahead. This way they will get to see me and their new backyard and can go as exuberant as they want lol

I'm just putting a link here (hope this is ok) to the Australian quarantine costs page which will give you up to date costings...as yes this did change recently ...as did the normal hour collection times and out of hours fees

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs/quarantine-facilities-and-fees/fees-for-government-animal-quarantine-faciltities

Also this page from Australian Quarantine give you a great step by step guide

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs/step-by-step-guides/category-3-step-by-step-guide-for-dogs

To give you an idea my dogs are at step 8 currently and have all their appointments booked with their vets for the rest that will be required in the lead up to their departure date :)

I hope these help and don't be afraid to ring around and get quotes. I have found all have been good and helpful. Pick the one who suits your needs :)

cheers Mary-Anne

Edited by maryannen

Hi Lisa.

Best to measure your dogs super accurately ·

Then give 2-3 companies a call to check out what they do and what they will charge you, but if you have big dogs then it will be expensive. Petair Uk is the kind of company who offers the "less stressful" way to get this organised, but honestly, if cost is key then there are cheaper ways of planning it all. But once you have priced it up correctly with vets fees, permits, RNATT declaration charges etc etc using a company to do it for you may cost you 5-10% more than you doing it yourself and without much of the hassle and worry.

There are no "dodgy" pet shippers in UK, but we do all offer slightly different things. But really read the quotes you get to see what is included and what is not and check the route being offered to you (do you want your pets to have a 10 hour transit in Dubai or a 2 hour transit?) and the cancellation policy - what happens if your vets makes a mistake? will the company help you fix it? will they charge you for a whole new flight if you have to postpone at the last minute or will they just move the flight? There are many different facets to a pet move and thorough research is the key.

Best of luck and definitely keep the PIO crew to let us know how you are doing