sale of uk house whilst in aus????

Guest sparky1966

Guest sparky1966

Hi, just looking for some advise from someone who is either qualified or had recently sold their house whilst in aus.

Looking for some advise regarding CGT and the rule changes regarding PPOR etc?

Please private me a message if you know the recent rules

Thanks Richard

Hi Richard

You will require a UK Tax Adviser to give advice in relation to this, I will move your post to the general money and finance section as it is more appropriately placed there.

Alan Collett from GM Tax is qualified in tis area and should be able to assist (http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/8471.html).

We recently sold our house. We completed our own UK CGT declaration which was easy as we made a loss. That has to be done within 30 days of completion. GM Tax is handling the Australian side, but there should be no liability because it was our home until we let it out, and we only let for 3.5 years.

Just glad to be rid :cute:

We sold ours remotely from Aus in 2012 after leaving in 2009 - it was worth less at sale then when we left so no CGT fortunately. I didn't make any UK CGT declaration though.

Don't worry akiralx your sale was before the rule change so you didn't need to make a declaration. It's only the gain made since 6th April 2015 that is taxable (for those who ceased to be UK resident before that date otherwise it's from when you cease to be UK resident) so it will be a long time before this measure becomes a real revenue earner for the UK government.

Don't worry akiralx your sale was before the rule change so you didn't need to make a declaration. It's only the gain made since 6th April 2015 that is taxable (for those who ceased to be UK resident before that date otherwise it's from when you cease to be UK resident) so it will be a long time before this measure becomes a real revenue earner for the UK government.

... particularly as the last 18 months of ownership are also exempt under UK tax law.

Best regards.

Archived