IT Industry - Employer Reference help!

Newbie65

Hi Guys,

Currently still shopping about for an agent, hoping to get this process started as soon as possible. I work in the IT industry and would be looking to obtain a 189 or 489 visa as an Analyst Programmer. I believe i am currently sat on 65 points (without including the regional relatives +10pts).

I was hoping to get some advice around getting an employment reference - the agents i have contacted so far have both stated different things :confused: One stating that a colleague and mentor would be sufficient, while the other stated it must be my manager.

The issue is that I really didn't want to have to inform my boss about my future plans for a reference until it was 100% necessary. I know this can be a long process and with the current climate if i look like i'm planning on flying the nest already it makes sense that if cutbacks had to be made (which looks like it's in the pipeline), i'd be the first to go.

Literally no one at work currently knows of my plans, but i believe there may be a colleague - who works as part of the same team but is a higher grade and paid more than myself, who could give me a reference stating that i meet the job description etc. He's not classed as a 'supervisor' or 'manager' on paper -but has definitely been a 'mentor' throughout my time at the company. In anyone elses opinion, would this be a suitable reference? Or will it need to be my direct line manager? Seems like it would be a big risk.. and i may have to bite the bullet - but i am keen to hear of anyone elses experiences.

I'm sure i can't be the only person who has had this problem at the initial stages? Im currently awaiting a call back from 2 other migration agents to see what they say.

Thanks in advance!

First off, if you're on 65 points without "regional relatives +10pts", don't bother with a 489 (it will take a long time anyway). Go for the 189 visa.

How long have you been in your current job, and how deep is your work history? I ask this, because it may be possible to get your skills assessed by ACS without that employment.

Re: refs from colleagues/managers. In my case, for a very old employment (16 years ago!), ACS accepted a statutory declaration from a work colleague (he was at the same level as me, doing the same duties), and I also submitted a letter showing that I got fired from there, proving I worked there. It was accepted by ACS.

IIRC, if paperwork is rejected by ACS they will give you the chance to re-submit it corrected. In this case, you could submit a stat. dec. from your colleague, and a few payslips. If that was rejected by ACS, then it would be time to speak to your manager.

All free advice, IANAMA :)

Thanks @itegoa, very helpful! Your experience trumps mine majorly. I am 25 and currently have only 2 years 3 months experience in my current role. I obtained my degree in 2012 and went backpacking around Aus for a year, upon returning i have been working at my current employer with the sole intention of gaining enough experience to go back!

I understand that if i wait until next year i will get +5points as i will have 3 years experience - but i understand that my job is not as sought after on the SOL as it used to be and i'm worried that it will be removed by next year with all the current changes happening.

I was advised applying for both visas wouldn't hurt as it was just a 'tick in another box' for when it went into the pool, and there wouldn't be an additional charge. Of course, i will now question this when the other agents i have contacted get back to me :)

Thanks @itegoa, very helpful! Your experience trumps mine majorly. I am 25 and currently have only 2 years 3 months experience in my current role. I obtained my degree in 2012 and went backpacking around Aus for a year, upon returning i have been working at my current employer with the sole intention of gaining enough experience to go back!

I understand that if i wait until next year i will get +5points as i will have 3 years experience - but i understand that my job is not as sought after on the SOL as it used to be and i'm worried that it will be removed by next year with all the current changes happening.

I was advised applying for both visas wouldn't hurt as it was just a 'tick in another box' for when it went into the pool, and there wouldn't be an additional charge. Of course, i will now question this when the other agents i have contacted get back to me :)

Can I just ask what your degree is in?

Which one of ACS' requirements match?

Here: https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf

Sure, I have a bachelors degree with honours in Computing. So will be ICT major with 2 years work experience and degree modules closely relating to 'nominated occupation'.

Ok. Those 2 years work experience after your degree cannot be used in the visa points test. Do you have any work experience prior to the degree?

So of those 2 yrs + 3 mths experience you have, the first 2 years will go towards gaining a positive skills assessment, and the remaining 3 months you can use to get points on the visa application (i.e. 0 points).

You will not get +5 points until another 2 years and 9 mths.

If you look on other places on the internet/other forums, you will see people referring to this as "ACS deducting experience".

As it stands (without knowing all the info), do your points look like this?

Age, 25 y/o (30 points)

Superior English (20 points) - you must still take the IELTS test and get 8+ points across the board

Qualifications, bachelor degree (15 points) -- ACS must assess your degree as "At least a bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or other degree of a recognised standard"

TOTAL = 65 points.

I believe occupation codes 2613xx currently have to have 65+ points (from what i've read on these forums lately)

There are several approved English courses, so IELTS is an option but PTE, OET, etc. are also options.

As Itegoa said, you need your degree + 2 years of experience to get a positive skills assessment. Since those 2 years of experience then are considered part of the requirement to be qualified in your occupation, you can only claim points for experience after that (so you'd need a total 5 years working in your occupation in order to claim 3 years of skilled experience).

There are several approved English courses, so IELTS is an option but PTE, OET, etc. are also options.

Ahh, thankyou guys - I didn't realise there were different English options. I'll have a read up on it - see if i can determine which one looks 'easiest', although I guess it will be down to preference.

As Itegoa said, you need your degree + 2 years of experience to get a positive skills assessment. Since those 2 years of experience then are considered part of the requirement to be qualified in your occupation, you can only claim points for experience after that (so you'd need a total 5 years working in your occupation in order to claim 3 years of skilled experience)

Did not know that either. Thankyou, very helpful as my calculations were wrong, I can kiss goodbye to those possible extra 5points then!

On another note - I've downloaded the ACS Skills assessment guidelines document, having a good read through it now but was just hoping someone could clarify something.... It states "If you are unable to obtain an employment reference on a company letterhead from your employer, a third party official Statutory Declaration or Affidavit written by a work colleague may be considered.

A Statutory Declaration or Affidavit is a legally written statement" If I get my colleague/mentor to provide me with a reference on headed paper does it still need to be witnessed by a legal body?

Thanks again

Archived