Residents return visa??

JAC204

My family is moving to Brisbane June 2016. I am staying in the UK to finish my degree. My degree will finish July 2017. Will they be able to come to my graduation? They will have been in Australia for a year and my dad says they can but they need a RRV but that says you need to have been in Australia for 2yrs and my mum also said "the hardest bit about moving is we won't be able to come back for 2 years"

when end it comes down to it, I am scared they haven't thought about this properly. They've been wanting to go for 11 years and still I still panic that they don't know what they're doing :S

Need a bit more information. What visa are they on? If they are PRs - how long ago were those visas granted?

Traveling overseas for short trips is almost never a problem as a PR. Even if they are not eligible for the regular RRV, they can always get a 1-month RRV to go overseas and come back.

I can't think of any scenario (other than the cost of the airfare) that would prevent them from being able to travel overseas. If the 5-year travel rights on their PR visa has expired, they simply apply for a RRV - if they haven't lived in Australia for 2 years at the time of application they'd get a 1-year RRV instead of a 5-year one, but that's more than enough time for them to attend your graduation.

Archived