Ask a Stupid Question....

Guest Johno

Hey All,

This might sound like a dumb question but,

i'm confused (again)...

i'm filling in my 457 forms and am wondering do i actually need to send my passport with the application!

- does the actual visa get laminated into the passport by DIMA or stuck in by me- i have no ideal what the finished article looks like

i.e can i fly/ book a flight to europe while its beening processed??

Thanks Loads

hopefully someone else will benefit from my shameful lack of understanding

Hi Johno

I have just got my passports back,the visa granted is a sticker that is stuck into a page of the passport. Once you have had your meds/police checks and been informed that the visa is to be granted you will be asked to send the passports off. Hope this helps

Karen :)

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Johno

As far as I know, you don't send your passport away until the visa has been granted, and you are never required to send it out of the country that you are in at the time.

DIMA do love their Certified Copies, my friend! You need to photocopy the all the pages of your passport that are not blank, and get the copies certified as being true copies of the originals.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

PS - Yes, you can go to Europe while you wait for your 457 visa to be granted, but make sure that DIMA can contact you whilst you are away, in case they want anything. That is, make sure to check your e-mails, and have someone check your snail-mail for anything from DIMA whilst you are away.

Gill

Guest spray21

You only send COPIES of your passport etc with the application (they will need to be certified copies, shop around as these can be expensive) - then once it is approved they will ask you to send off your passport for the visa to be stuck in.

Have fun!

Guest Brissiebound

Johno,

they just email you I'm afraid (no fancy stickers or anything mores the pity!). With the 457 they just give you a grant number and tell you that your passport has been put on the computer (computer says yes apparently :D )! Basically you just turn up in Oz and the nice man/woman behind the desk welcomes you in. A bit boring but there you go.

Steve

Guest Brissiebound

When I said a bit boring, I meant if you don't change your passport in the meantime! If you change your passport before going I am sure you will find it anything but boring when you arrive!

Archived