Which school year?

Brussels

Hello,

I know that this has been covered before but please bear with me as I'm still not sure!

Both my children have birthdays in February, next Feb one will turn 12 and the other 10. I thought that would mean that they would begin years 7 & 5 in January in NSW (according to the official website that was linked to in another post http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/media-assets/trp/year-placement.pdf) but having contacted a secondary school in Sydney they said that the eldest would be a bit too young for secondary - that they usually turn 13 in year 7. This seems to contradict the government website unless I've misunderstood it??

Hello,

I know that this has been covered before but please bear with me as I'm still not sure!

Both my children have birthdays in February, next Feb one will turn 12 and the other 10. I thought that would mean that they would begin years 7 & 5 in January in NSW (according to the official website that was linked to in another post http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/media-assets/trp/year-placement.pdf) but having contacted a secondary school in Sydney they said that the eldest would be a bit too young for secondary - that they usually turn 13 in year 7. This seems to contradict the government website unless I've misunderstood it??

You are correct. The cut off for NSW is end July so as long as they turn 12 before then they will be in yr 7 HOWEVER a lot of schools now look at kids whose birthdays are earlier in the year and see if they are ready for a particular school year so there is more conservatism about putting a young kid into a year group. Your 12 yr old will be one of the younger ones but if they are on track and socially mature then yr 7 should be the realistic option for them. The school is correct however, most kids will be turning 13 during yr 7 (but not all of them!)

Thanks for clarifying that. She is fine academically but quite young socially so it might be better to put her in year 6.

We are moving from Belgium where they have been in the local, flemish speaking, school system so whilst their spoken English is fine and they can read English, their written English has room for improvement... so again year 6 is probably better!

Actually, yes, I agree with you - giving her the extra maturity would seem to be a bonus in this case especially as she has been in a school with different education language. If you're cool with it do it that way. They generally look closely at kids with March-July birthdays