Are you bound to work in the field you apply for your visa in?

SydneySister

Sounds pretty random but I am just curious. I am in my final year midwifery training and will be applying for a permanent visa for me and my son to move once I have finished and got some post graduate work experience. I am just wondering if accepted on the visa with obviously the midwifery as my skilled/wanted trade does that bound me to work in midwifery for a certain amount of time or forever? I am just keeping options open as I would ideally at some point like to travel and take time out with my son once settled obviously but would probably work, if it is allowed, in my other trained profession which is childcare so nanny work or childcare while travelling, something a bit less long term and where my son could stay with me. Is this an option or will I have to stay put and work as a midwife until Im old and grey x

Sounds pretty random but I am just curious. I am in my final year midwifery training and will be applying for a permanent visa for me and my son to move once I have finished and got some post graduate work experience. I am just wondering if accepted on the visa with obviously the midwifery as my skilled/wanted trade does that bound me to work in midwifery for a certain amount of time or forever? I am just keeping options open as I would ideally at some point like to travel and take time out with my son once settled obviously but would probably work, if it is allowed, in my other trained profession which is childcare so nanny work or childcare while travelling, something a bit less long term and where my son could stay with me. Is this an option or will I have to stay put and work as a midwife until Im old and grey x

Assuming you are referring to applying for a 189 GSM VISA then no, you don't have to work in the nominated occupation that got you the visa. You could in theory never work a day again once you arrive - though this is clearly unpractical and not advisable - unless you're a secret millionaire (in which case you probably wouldn't be going the GSM route any way)!

If it's not a 189 you're referring to, then there are various reasons, that aren't worth expanding on here, as to why you'd need to work in the job you nominated for a certain amount of time (i.e. if you were going for an employer sponsored based visa).

Super thank yous. I would just like to do something a little less time commited that I could spend more time with my son for some time once finances aren't as crazy after the first year or so. As I have missed so much since he was born starting into doing this course. Definitely not a secret millionaire RMT1980 despite my numerous tickets for euromillions the other night with the 71million rollover :(oh well lol x