visa points for qualification, electrician

Mamailks

Hello everyone

I'm new here and it's my first threat so please bear with me. My husband is an electrician and has done his skills assessment. When filling in our EOI I have put in his qualifications "recognised by assessing authority" and we got 10 points for that. Now I'm filling in our Visa application form and it is ready to be submitted. I have been checking it over and over again and think I have everything correct; but I'm now unsure about his qualification. I thought that by sending it to the TRA and him being invited for his practical skills assessments that means that they have recognised his qualification . Am I right or is there anything else we should have done to get them recognised?

Thanks

I know that there might be a similar threat out there,but unfortunately I wasn't able to find one ?

I'm an electrician and am just about to submit my visa application, well my agent is. Your skills aren't recognised until you have passed the first and second part of the assessment. Firstly you have to prove you qualifications and experience, this varies depending on who is taking your skills assessment and what qualifications your husband has. I am a fully qualified electrician with an NVQ and future skills international took my assessment so I had to prove I had 2 years experience as I am a fully qualified electrician. A friend of mine is a domestic installer and has never completed an NVQ so he had to prove 7 years of experience and in both cases you have to attend a practical assessment day where your skills are assessed.

Also ensure you don't get having your qualifications assessed and claiming points for qualifications or work experience mixed up. Although I have 8 years experience in total you cannot claim points for experience until post NVQ qualification, for me this means I couldn't claim points for my experience as I won't have been fully qualified for 3+ years until May so I had to gain the points by doing an IELTS and getting superior English scores.

if you are unsure on what you've done and need some professional advice I suggest you call the downunder Center and speak to wes, this is who carried out my assessment and they are extremely helpful and hold examinations much more regularly than Vetassess, their number is 0203 376 1555

Hope this helps any other questions just ask and if I can I'll help.

Thanks Skyba,

My husband has successfully passed his skills assessment in September with Future skills ?they have been very helpful.

He passed his basic electrician course in 2004 and did his city and guilds level 3 certs in the requirement for electrical installations in 2007 therefore we are claiming 10years work experience.

We are also claiming 10 points for his qualifications; as when we filled in our EOI we put his qualifications down as other = "You can receive 10 points for any other qualification or award which is recognised as suitable for your nominated occupation in your skills assessment by the relevant assessing authorit"(that's copied from the Visa points page).

I was just wondering it that was the right thing to do,but assuming from him receiving his positive skills assessment that his qualifications are recognised.

Good luck with your Visa application, hope everything goes well ☺

Where about do you want to go?

Mamailks?

Thanks Skyba,

My husband has successfully passed his skills assessment in September with Future skills they have been very helpful.

He passed his basic electrician course in 2004 and did his city and guilds level 3 certs in the requirement for electrical installations in 2007 therefore we are claiming 10years work experience.

We are also claiming 10 points for his qualifications; as when we filled in our EOI we put his qualifications down as other = "You can receive 10 points for any other qualification or award which is recognised as suitable for your nominated occupation in your skills assessment by the relevant assessing authorit"(that's copied from the Visa points page).

I was just wondering it that was the right thing to do,but assuming from him receiving his positive skills assessment that his qualifications are recognised.

Good luck with your Visa application, hope everything goes well ☺

Where about do you want to go?

Mamailks

Hi, just to quickly make you aware the level 3 you are talking about is for the 17th edition wiring regs, unless your partner has an NVQ level 3 or equivalent and would be graded as a fully qualified electrician by the JIB then you cannot claim any points for employment. It gets confusing because there are so many level 3 electrical courses but it's the NVQ or equivalent that counts. If it's city and guilds level 3 2330 that doesn't count either has to be the NVQ otherwise I would have been able to claim points also for experience. My friend who I mentioned before has 10 years experience and had to prove 7 years of experience to future skills in order to get a positive assessment but under the advice of an agent didn't claim any work experience due to not holding the NVQ. Not saying your husband hasn't got one it just wasn't clear in your post and it is a very expensive mistake that I've heard of a few people making before.

We're going to be living just north of Gold Coast by the looks of it, we were there for a month in Jan and we love it and it's the best place for us really when considering affordability etc. South of Gold Coast is also really nice but house prices are a little higher and we don't mind a longer drive into the city.

Where are are you planning to go?

Thanks

I'll look into this, as future skills never mentioned anything. We're planning to go to Perth, so he can enjoy working in the sunshine

I wouldn't speak to future skills as they don't deal with that side of things, it's an immigration agent you'll need. Future skills just deal with getting you an assessment, the visa point allocation is totally Seperate and has completely different qualification criteria. Also when you speak to one ensure they are MARA registered agent and ensure that you point out the difference between the level 3 quals as some assume when you say level 3 city and guilds that it's an NVQ. I know agents seem expensive but I used one because I had a health issue and used to live in Qatar so it's more peace of mind. I completed everything myself and then went to one when I was decision ready and got a large discount, about 60%, still not cheap but cheaper than having to do the application twice lol.

also a sign of the level qualification is stud amount of evidence future skills will have asked for. A fully qualified JIB spark will only have to show 2 years experience and that can include training, my friend had to supply 7 years work experience evidence from the point at which he was deemed to be working as an electrician

Hi,

Yes, type of qualification and 'date deemed skilled' is a complex aspect of points calculation.

Have you received an invitation to apply and are now compiling the paperwork to lodge? Bear in mind that you must be able to verify the exact points claimed in your EOI.

Joy

Hi,

Thanks Joy. Where do I find out the "date deemed skilled"?

He's passed his skills assessment. He's worked as an electrician since being in the Army 2002-2007 and then done his City and Guilds level 3 for electrical Installations in 2007 before starting work in Civi street. He's been employed as an electrician ever since.

Mamailks

Hi,

He's passed his skills assessment. He's worked as an electrician since being in the Army 2002-2007 and then done his City and Guilds level 3 for electrical Installations in 2007 before starting work in Civi street. He's been employed as an electrician ever since.

Mamailks

Hi,

You won't find the date deemed skilled in a specific place. His qualifications and work experience would need to be reviewed to determine this.

Joy

As I said previously you won't be deemed as an electrician in the eyes of immi unless you have an NVQ. The friend I told you about before who was in a similar situation was qualified in exactly the same way as your hubby, via the army and then has worked as an electrician since, difference is that although he's deemed as an electrician by the company he works for or if he works for himself by the NICEIC as a domestic installer unless he has an NVQ 3 he's not deemed to be a fully qualified electrician by the JIB or by Australia's department of immigration. It is possible to get a positive skills assessment which allows you to migrate to Australia because you have the skills in order to pass the assessment, when asked by immi in the points allocation it asks about having a positive skills assessment and you can say yes, but the part where it asks about points for experience it asks experience post being deemed "qualified" this is where it changed because you are not technically a fully qualified electrician until you have an NVQ 3 which means you cannot claim points for experience so the extra points have to be made up by gaining superior English with an IELTS test

the difference is with the terminology used, futureskills are deeming you to be "skilled" enough for migration whereas the department of migration with deem you "skilled" due to the positive assessment they won't deem you to be "qualified" enough to get the experience points. Lol, it's a mine field

It's very confusing the way it's all worked out, I almost claimed points myself for work experience because I've been working as an electrician since 2010 but because my NVQ 3 was dated later than this I cannot claim any points. I did actually speak to my migration agent before about this situation for my friend and did actually mention it again to them this week and they said to me that this is a common point where electrical applicants slip up. It's actually one of the reason's the process for electricians changed as many domestic installers were going to Australia as fully qualified electricians and being given a full electrical license when they didn't have any commercial or industrial experience and it caused issues, they changed the process so we now have to complete additional training on-shore.

Hope this helps

Ok thanks,

But he has his JIB licence/card.

he must have an NVQ 3 or equivalent then as the JIB won't give you an electricians gold card without the qualifications. Years ago I think you used to be able to get a time served card when sponsored by an employer but I think they stopped doing that about 15 years ago.

Good luck, hope it all goes well.

Hi,

Mamailks

The area of skilled work experience points is fraught with danger for those who haven't been here before.

I recommend that you explore this vexed issue with an experienced migration advisor - and maybe instruct him/her formally for the EoI and visa application stages to make sure you are claiming correctly.

Best regards.

Archived