Bypassing pet transport agent ant advice?

Brumbles

Has anybody by passed using an agent to ship their dogs from Sydney to Heathrow. Having done some reaearch there seems a lot of info on the web regarding the requirements but i just wanted to know if anyone had done it. I dont want to cause un necessary stress to my doggies but i am happy to do a bit of leg work to save what appears several thousand dollars.

Has anybody by passed using an agent to ship their dogs from Sydney to Heathrow. Having done some reaearch there seems a lot of info on the web regarding the requirements but i just wanted to know if anyone had done it. I dont want to cause un necessary stress to my doggies but i am happy to do a bit of leg work to save what appears several thousand dollars.

I suppose you could, but there is a significant amount of leg work involved and you will not be able to complete all of the paperwork yourself , and if you have to get someone else (freight forwarder, Vet etc) to do some of it, why not get a single point of contact to manage all of it for you ?

Of course , if you have say 10 dogs to ship, there may be an economy of scale, but if you only have 2/3 animals , I'd suggest using an integrated pet transport agency, there won't be a significant difference in freight cost (maybe 15-20%) but there will be a significant learning curve for you if you have not worked in the industry, and no paperwork (I dream somedays of no paperwork)

Hi ,

I shipped my 3 Golden retrievers back and paid what I thought was a fantastic price to get them back to the Uk. ,what state are you in .

• 3 weeks later...

I brought a dog over from Brisbane to London 10 years ago. I did everything myself, there is a lot of running around to do and paperwork. Look at Qantasx freight and download info from AQUIS website. Also , look for an AQUIS registered vet, they will tell you exactly what injections to have and timeframes to do it. Airlines hate dealing with non agents , ie the pet owner, but stand firm. I organised most of it while I was in the UK ( back then you had to wait 6 months for the rabies injection blood test to get back, and so we had to leave our dog behind with my parents) the money I saved allowed name to fly back to oz to do final leg work , gave a visit with family and fly back on the same plane as our fog.

Check what airlines fly them without an agent. IIRC quite a few only ship now if you use an agent.

Also depending on the time of year your pet will be flying, ensure the route is a good one weather wise and not a potential cook on the tarmac at a refuel or some such in Dubai.

Thankyou everybody. I think i will use an agent, i am sure it will be less stressful for both my dogs and me. I am assured that even if they do spend time on the ground at Dubai their compartment on the plane remains aircooled. But anyway just in the process of choosing an agent and most seem to use Qantas direct Sydney to Heathrow which is good news.

You won't save several thousands.It cost us $3300 all up for our two mini foxies.You may save a couple of hundred.But remember you do one thing wrong.And they pick it up at Heath-row,they won't allow your dogs to enter the country. Personally i'm all for saving a quid.But Your dogs are part of the family,and you need to have peace of mind, that all is done right.

Archived