Shopping: food and others..

Ainell29

Kmart and Target are similar in price/quality for home wares.

Fantastic furniture do super cheap package deals -'I assume they are nationwide and not just in Perth.

There is nothing like an Asda in Aus really. Nor any of the big supermarkets that in the UK also sell masses of cheap electrical, clothing, household, seasonal, alcohol, DVDs and music etc. Supermarkets sell food, household cleaning, fruit and veg etc. No booze. They don't sell TV's, vaccum cleaners, kids clothes, adult clothes, masses of CD's/DVD's etc, bedding etc. A very very small range of some of these items in store but usually overpriced and poor quality IMHO. Or expensive items at full price (Bonds underwear springs to mind here).

Nothing like Primark either in terms of range and price. Target, KMart and BigW sell stuff other than clothing, tho tbh their clothing quality is IMO rather crap and overpriced.

You'll find places to shop though I am sure, sales can be handy, as can online shopping. I shop in BigW over KMart and Target for kids clothes now but only for tees, swimear and PJ's. The rest I order online or hit Pumpkin Patch in the sales or something.

on the map i can see Sydney fish market- is that comparable to billingsgate fish market in london? is that one of many fish markets only i hope...

I found fish mongers in Perth amazing something I miss now I'm back in the UK - I would expect you'd have no problem getting good quality fresh fish in sydney - not cheap though!

I found fish mongers in Perth amazing something I miss now I'm back in the UK - I would expect you'd have no problem getting good quality fresh fish in sydney - not cheap though!

I agree. That is one thing I really missed about Australia when I returned to the UK after my WHV.

It may have changed in the UK since. But back then I was buying several varieties of fresh whole prawns, balmain bugs, lobster and oysters in Australia.

Then on my return to the UK, I went to the fishmongers and found one type of peeled frozen prawn (you know the little bland ones found in a typical prawn cocktail) and some tinned lobster.

It was a shock to the system. :laugh:

Good quality fresh fish is very abundant and cheap in Sydney.

Plus of course you can catch your own if you feel so inclined.

What about:

http://www.costco.com.au

I am not a member and have never even been to one. But I hear they are quite cheap.

There great for bulk purchases and range is awesome - food outlet is very good aswell, a large Jacket with mountains of filling sets me back £1.50 in Avonmouth. Funny how trivial things make a big difference, I remember going to the Costco in Majura Park?? and the lay out was identical to the one in Avonmouth. At the time I was very homesick and it didn't help so I didnt go again!

Also pays to shop around. Local BWS sells a wine I like for $29.99. Local Dan Murphys sells exactly the same wine for $19.99. Less than 1km apart from each other. Both owned by the Woolworths brand. Same with a supplement I buy except the two shops are literally around the corner from each other with a $20 difference. Cars are cheaper to buy in Blacktown than Dee Why, despite being the same car and dealership. So definitely shop around to find the cheaper prices.

Archived