457 to PR changes.

Is anyone aware if there are to be changes made to the 457 to PR visa route. I am aware that the investigation into this was published earlier this year and that the government agreed to all recommendations in principle in March - report as link following

http://www.border.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/reviews-and-inquiries/streamlined-responsive-457-programme.pdf

Being over 50 I need 4 years with sponsoring employer so now need to reapply for a 457 as mine expires in December (3 years 7 months in). the recommendations were that transition to PR for over 50's be reduced to 42 mths to reduce administration on Australian businesses. This has been all talk to date but is it on the cards. Obviously hoping this will be introduced in the next month to help my situation is probably wishful thinking!

nothing seems to be made easy in this immigration process!

Not heard anything, though immi seem to be getting tighter with 457's. More than one agent has mentioned they are seeing a sharp increase in refusals. Also seeing individual states making things harder for PR routes - WA recently put nearly all of the occupations on its list into schedule 2. Meaning they wont grant state sponsorship unless the applicant has a job offer.

Do you meet the minimum pay threshold?

Yes, I meet the minimum pay threshold but would like to make application for PR as soon as possible. I have recently heard of someone being penalised for making application before the 4 year period so if nothing changes I will have to have all ready for the 4 year anniversary. Unsure how long applications will take as I believe I will be amongst 1st applicants since these reg's were introduced.

It seems ludicrous that the government commission a study into 457's & then ignore the results especially when it was published that they agreed in principle with the findings back in MArch, back in the UK it's advertised that Aussie welcomes migrants with open arms. Its a different matter when you get here with LAFA being scrapped, $4000 school fees introduced for 457's. Many find their trade qualifications are not acceptable.

I suppose we are here to be tested !!!!

Archived