Morley, Dianella, Bayswater..advice!!

Millie1978

Hi all....we are moving to Perth in the new year on our 189. Originally we had put a lot of our time into researching North, butler etc. But now we have decided to live closer to the city which would suit my husband travelling to work instead of sitting in traffic and we have been looking at Morley, Bayswater area. Close to city and airport, big shopping centre, and 20 mins from the beach. Has anyone on here ever lived there or know the area well? There is a catholic school Infant Jesus, anyone know anything about it?

all info appreciated xxx :wub:

These are all nice areas, I had good friends in both Bayswater and Dianella. I would say Dianella is marginally better, the Coffin Cheaters MC had their clubhouse in Bayswater which did put some people off.

Morley as you've mentioned has a big shopping centre and is an easy drive to the beach, although there aren't really family friendly beaches in that area, it's the heart of surfing and I didn't used to enjoy taking my 5 year old there. Hillary's and Cottesloe aren't too far though.

I personally would much rather live in these areas than further north in places like Butler. The housing will be quite different and it depends what you like - I do like modern houses and on the newer estates you can get (or build) some amazing properties, in the older areas though you will get much more land for your money. We did find though that the old design of a lot of the houses did not fit with modern family living so there is compromise (ours was to buy land in an older suburb and build but we settled for not much more than 500squareM)

I can't help with the school sorry- do you know about the myschool website? Not that I think results tell you much more about a school than whether it is in a nice catchment area but with nothing else to go on it's a start.

All good areas as far as I know too. You can get the train from Bayswater (or Basso, a little further out, or Meltham nearer in), or the bus down Beaufort street. Catholic schools all over the place - eg St Peter's in Inglewood, and Chisholm College for when they are older (OH's 3 went to Chisholm). Galleria is good for shopping, but gets pretty busy! Some of the 'Federation' style houses are lovely, but can be pricey as you get nearer the city, unless you can pick up a fixer upper! All the best and have a lovely time whichever you choose.

I guess if the infant Jesus went there it must be OK.

Seriously though, depends what is important to you. Even though those areas are OK and are only 20 mins to the beach, probably less, it's really not like living close to the beach. It doesn't sound much but if you live in walking distance to the beach your lifestyle will be so much different you may as well be in a different world. Seeing as you're moving so far you may as well make the best of it.

Scarborough beach is really nice and the local government are spending heaps of money there, making Scarborough a better suburb and there are loads of places to go if you live close to Scarborough. A shopping centre would not be one of my priorities if I were moving half way round the world. If you could live closer to Scarbs there are shopping centres not too far away anyway.

If I had the choice between the suburbs you mention and Butler it would be touch and go but only because Butler is quite far up the Coast. If you could get closer in there are heaps of nice suburbs. Is your hubby going to be working in the City? It's not a bad drive down the West Coast Highway if you aren't too far up, much nicer than the freeway.

Heaps of reasons being near the beach is better BTW, doesn't get as hot in summer or cold in winter, no flies, property is always in demand. You will pay a bit more but we are glad we did.

• 2 weeks later...

I've a house in Bayswater. It' a nice area, but not near the beach (unless your count the one on the river at the dog park).

Only real issue is the roads, there isn't a nice route to the Freeway that isn't full of traffic lights. The train is great for commuting though.

Similar to what Paul says, I currently live near Scarborough. It's posher, (so more money, smaller houses) but with a proper beach.

It's easier to drive places, but you have to get a bus & train to public transport it to the city. Grab an Uber, it's easier.

I know nothing about the school as I'm anti-religion and have no kids.

I have been known to extol the virtues of Scarborough on here but it's not really somewhere I'd recommend to families, the beach is totally unsuitable - we stayed in a rental for two months close to Scarborough when we first arrived with a 5 year old and it took most of the next 5 years to get him back in the sea!

We only stayed a couple of months but the nightlife seemed very student/traveller focussed - now compared to most suburbs in Perth at least it had a night life but not what most families are looking for.

I do agree with the 'walk to the beach' thing though, we were a 10 min walk away along a path from the bottom of our road, any further and I think for most people once the novelty wears off you barely go.

Have you considered SOR? There are some great suburbs on the coast in the City of Cockburn - we lived Hamilton Hill so close to Freo too. Coogee is lovely if you can afford that.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn