Should we stay or should we go???

Guest Gough-Ray's

Guest Gough-Ray's

As new members, I thought I would ask the audience for their advice!

We were granted our visas in April 2005, activated them in Oz in Nov 2005 and are still twiddling our thumbs in the UK waiting to go.

Can't help but panic every day about the future and know we are so lucky to be granted our visas, however the unknown in Oz scares the life out of us!

We are still in the UK due to work commitments and are currently planning on making the move March/April next year (this is the third date we have given ourselves....).

We don't want to sell our home 'just in case' it doesn't work out, so plan to rent out for 12 months to let ourselves settle in.

Has anyone else done this with their property? Any tips/nightmares or advice? Does everyone feel this way before they go?

Any info would be very much appreciated

Thanks

The Rays

Guest lexluhta

Hi there, all these thoughts going through our mind and we haven't even applied fot the visa yet :lol:

As someone who knows nothing about the whole procedure, once you have your visa, do you have a certain amount of time to activate it? How exactly do you do that?

And obviously you've returned to the UK to think things through, do you again have a limited period before you must actually go to Oz?

:?

Guest Gough-Ray's

Hi, yes you have to make your first entry into Oz within 12 months of your medicals/police checks whichever was done first.

The visas we have are valid for 5 years so we've already lost 2 years by the time we go. The plan is that we would then get citizenship after doing 2 years in Oz, but I've read info on another site that the law is changing with this and you will have to do 4 years in Oz before you qualify! Whether that affects the people who already have the visas and have activated them or not I don't know. Infact is ther anyone who knows the answer to this? :?

Guest abeattie
Hi' date=' yes you have to make your first entry into Oz within 12 months of your medicals/police checks whichever was done first.

The visas we have are valid for 5 years so we've already lost 2 years by the time we go. The plan is that we would then get citizenship after doing 2 years in Oz, but I've read info on another site that the law is changing with this and you will have to do 4 years in Oz before you qualify! Whether that affects the people who already have the visas and have activated them or not I don't know. Infact is ther anyone who knows the answer to this? :?[/quote']

I think I may have the answer with regards to citizenship here goes.

You have to activate your visa within specific time, once this is done you are classed as a permanent resident so the 5 year thing does not really apply unless you leave australia at any time after this period for a holiday, that basically means you have to apply for a return resident visa before you leave, as I understand it this is very straight forward. My uncle and cousins emigrated here 30 years ago and for watever reason have not got their citizenship yet but, they still go on hols abroad with no problems.

Hope this helps.

We had the doubts and scary stuff before we left as well, we just went for it had not sold house before we left and in the end this was just a noose around our necks. We love it here and wish we had made the move sooner it took approx 4 years to make our minds up about applying. Go for it you have nothing to lose and if you are renting out your home you will always have somewhere to go back to.

I really believe you have to come out with an open mind and give yourselves at least two years to really settle. We believe we have made the best move for our family and would never return to the UK.

Best regards,

Angie & Sean

Hi, well I hope this helps we have made our move to Oz having never been we have two children a son 16 and a daughter 13, we were going to Perth but our friends asked us to come to N.S.W and stay with them and make a decision as to wether we would stay here or not, we have brought our little Dog with us and she had to go to Quarantine in Sydney they couldn't get her into Perth as it was too busy. So anyway we have been here three weeks and have bought a house a car and my husband got a job after two weeks he is in the car industry. We are both in our 40's so it was a very brave move and I know that we are going to get homesick and miss lots of people, in fact I do already and christmas is going to be hard but we have got too have the be strong attitude and get through the bad times as a family. If we hadn't done it we would only have regretted it . Why not do something different in your life we all live day to day in our own little worlds. Oh well I hope I haven't bored you too much just go for it and take care Frances

Hi Francis

This sounds just like us, we are in our early 40's and never been to oz before, passports arriving back this morning and hopefully heading towards Brisbane as there seems to be more work for hubby there, we have 2 boys the same age as your children, At least you had friends to help you feel not to alone over there.

Heres hoping you all settle into your new life :D and good luck.

Its cold and frosty here at least summer is on the way for you all.

Karen Nigel and Boys

Guest The Poms

Hi everyone,

We just discovered this forum last week, what a great place to air opinions, fears, gain information - fantastic!!

We are in our early 40's with two young kids and cannot find a good reason to stay in the UK. We have lived abroad twice and just cannot settle back into UK lifestyle. I look around and all I see is things getting worse and the future for my kids in the UK is very doubtful.

I have just applied for my visa after getting Government sponsorship and expect it all to go thro' to be able to leave by next May. We have sold our house and are about to move into rented accommodation. We have absolutely no doubts in our minds that we have made the correct decision and can't envisage why we would ever want to return to the UK. We do have the advantage of having travelled a lot and as I already said we know we can live away as we already have.

It must be very daunting if you have never made a big break before but in my past experience you've got to go for these opportunities - we've had a blast and it's an education on its own for the kids. That said it's now time to settle down and give the kids a secure future and Australia is by far the best place we have ever been. Not everyone is fortunate enough to get the chance and if it all goes wrong at least you've given it a go and can always come back.

If you can't bring yourself to sell the house then renting it out is a sensible option and gives you the comfort blanket of having somewhere to return to if you have to.

Our only concern is for parents who aren't getting any younger but we plan to have a "pot" of money for returning if we need to in a hurry.

We have a rental propety in the UK which we intend to keep rented out but I am just starting to wonder about the tax implications of doing this. Does anyone have any idea of where I will stand.

Cheers "The Poms"

Guest Brissiebound

Hi "The Poms",

An intersesting post and it sounds as if you are in a sort of similar position to us (me 38, wife early 40's, and the three kids). We too have lived overseas (saudi for 5 years on an expat contract) and we have had no hesitation in making this step. For us it all came about after I was out in Oz last year, of all things at my Dad's wedding, not many people can say that! When there I met up with some old expat mates and they suggested I get my arse out there. When I got back just mentioned it in passing to my wife and she nearly started packing there and then!! We too have not concerns about not settling, the kids really deserve the best opportunity to enjoy life (as do we!) and I am sure Oz will provide that opportunity.

As for the rental house, I am afraid you will be required to declare all your global income to the lovely Aussie tax people, and you will be taxed accordingly. Best to be prepared rather than convince yourself otherwise. I would also suggest that it is better to make sure you do declare the income just in case they find out and you loose your visa (definitely not worth it for a few quid!).

Anyway, best wishes with everything.

Cheers

Steve

Guest The Poms

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice on the house, my gut feeling is the best thing would be to sell it before we go. Right now I wouldn't be liable to Capital Gains. I guess if I sold it after becoming resident there's a fair chance I'd have to pay gains tax to the Oz taxman. Do you know if that's the case or does anyone else out there?

Interestingly I spent 3 years in Saudi and another 2 in Kuwait and it was our Oz mates who I used to work with that inspired us to make the break. Once you've had a taste of the expat lifestyle it's extremely difficult to return to the relative drudgery of living in the UK 8)

I hope it all works for you and you rfamily, what stage are you at?

Cheers Andy & Ali

"The Poms"

Guest Brissiebound
I guess if I sold it after becoming resident there's a fair chance I'd have to pay gains tax to the Oz taxman. Do you know if that's the case or does anyone else out there?

The good news is, like the UK, you would almost certanly not pay capital gains on the sale of your house in the UK. You would need to have this definitively answered of course, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.

We are just sitting waiting for the house and/or business to sell and we'll be on our way. My wife has a job offer at a hospital in Brisbane and they are sponsoring us out on a 457 visa (grated back in August). We have also stuck in an application for perm res 136 which will take a bit of time of course, but we are in no hurry on that front, just in a hurry to be on our way! Good to hear from another ex-saudi, the aussie wine and beer will make a big change to the home brew and SID that I used to drink in Saudi!!!! I am sure you will remeber it well. All the best with your side, where you off to and when do you hope to be there?

Cheers

Steve

Guest Gough-Ray's

Thanks to Angie & Sean and also Frances for their replies. We are in a different situation, it appears to most, in that we are both in our 30's and no kids so I suppose for us it should be an easier move......

We have spent 12 months in Oz already on a working visa back in 1998 and visited again last year to activate our visas. We have thought long and hard about where to settle and have decided on Sydney, so here's to next year and hopefully a new great life in Oz!

Cheers

Lynsey

Guest Gough-Ray's

Hi Frances

We are probably heading for Northern Beaches, hopefully Manly, but we will be relying on affordable rental properties for at least 12 months, until we find our feet. Where about's are you?

Lynsey

Guest cheekymonkey

Hi Lynsey

I am new to this forum so forgive me if im asking questions that have already been asked! Right now I'm just thinking about coming over. Am a nurse so not sure whether to come over on a workin visa first then try for residency? how did u find this option. I also have no kids, and am just a babba at 23 lol!

Hi Lynsey,

We will be living in N.S.W in a place called Greenpoint, we are living with friends at the moment in Saratoga it is on the coast and lovely, Sartoga you definetely need a car and I havent got one at the moment as my husband has just started his job in Sydney and uses the car. However when we move to Greenpoint in 4 weeks and I cant wait I will be nearer to shops etc, let me know how you get on and where you decide to settle Frances

There are some free tax factsheets here:

http://www.collettandco.com

One or two may be of interest ...

Best regards.

Hi everyone,

We just discovered this forum last week, what a great place to air opinions, fears, gain information - fantastic!!

We are in our early 40's with two young kids and cannot find a good reason to stay in the UK. We have lived abroad twice and just cannot settle back into UK lifestyle. I look around and all I see is things getting worse and the future for my kids in the UK is very doubtful.

I have just applied for my visa after getting Government sponsorship and expect it all to go thro' to be able to leave by next May. We have sold our house and are about to move into rented accommodation. We have absolutely no doubts in our minds that we have made the correct decision and can't envisage why we would ever want to return to the UK. We do have the advantage of having travelled a lot and as I already said we know we can live away as we already have.

It must be very daunting if you have never made a big break before but in my past experience you've got to go for these opportunities - we've had a blast and it's an education on its own for the kids. That said it's now time to settle down and give the kids a secure future and Australia is by far the best place we have ever been. Not everyone is fortunate enough to get the chance and if it all goes wrong at least you've given it a go and can always come back.

If you can't bring yourself to sell the house then renting it out is a sensible option and gives you the comfort blanket of having somewhere to return to if you have to.

Our only concern is for parents who aren't getting any younger but we plan to have a "pot" of money for returning if we need to in a hurry.

We have a rental propety in the UK which we intend to keep rented out but I am just starting to wonder about the tax implications of doing this. Does anyone have any idea of where I will stand.

Cheers "The Poms"

Guest Gough-Ray's

Hi Frances, how far out of Sydney is Saratoga and Greenpoint? Is it a nice place to be?

Hi also Cheeky Monkey! personally at only 23 I think you should deffo go for your working visa. It costs about £100 (or it did when I applied!!) and you get 12 months in Oz. That way, if you like it you can apply for your residency or if you don't, you don't waste money or time applying for other visas. Although as a nurse, they should snap you up!! Good Luck

Lynsey

Archived